Jump to content
vortecjr

Sonicorbiter - High Capacity Micro SD Card

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

The Sonore Rendu series just got a whole lot bigger. Well actually, the units are the same size, but now you can update them with a 400 GB micro SD card. These high capacity micro SD cards allow you to store and play music directly from the Rendu. This upgrade is available for the microRendu, ultraRendu, opticalRendu, and the Signature Rendu SE.  The high capacity micro SD cards can be purchased from the Sonore website here: https://www.sonore.us/SonicOrbiter-OS.html

 

Local Playback with MPD 

Here is an example of how to use the Rendu with MPD as the onboard player and YMPD as the onboard controller. You can also use Rigelian as the controller on your iPad or any other MPD client for control.

 

From the Rendu web interface in Apps, you will see a new icon named Local Storage.

250593605_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_44_10PM.png.41a7d5a7573d8be7e8c9ce0588ca4e00.png

 

Clicking on Apps / Local Storage lets you see the size of your storage drive, how much space is used, and how much space is available on the micro SD card.

747628432_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_44_22PM.png.63c4631b448a94f6894979c59334bd29.png

My drive was empty so I dropped some content into the default shared folder over the network. Here is some FLAC / Blues ready for use in playback. 

 

22755089_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_31_41PM.png.e94bed556215a48f2a5e8e5ce5ce43da.png  

 

In order to control playback on the unit, I'm going to install YMPD from Apps / Software Manager.

889158660_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_49_33PM.thumb.png.58ef1694a8797f11eb5686acafd774b8.png 

 

If you have another controller like Kazoo open stop playback and close the app. Also, go to Settings / DLNA MPD and press Save to assure MPD is running on your Rendu.

 

When you first open YMPD click on it's Settings tab and then click on Update DB so MPD can see your newly added content. Press Save for good measure.

1367404770_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_53_55PM.png.e87988a265aa65fbd4f55bc675017cd1.png 

 

Now go to the Browse Database tab and click on Root and your content should be listed. Click on something to play and enjoy the music!

1509293336_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_57_52PM.thumb.png.52a8769b46e344f6474689549b64f87f.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local Playback with Logitech Media Server (LMS)

Here is an example of how to use the Rendu with LMS as the onboard player and onboard controller. You can also use other LMS compatible apps, such as iPeng, on your mobile device to controller playback. 

 

From the Rendu web interface in Apps, you will see a new icon named Local Storage.

250593605_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_44_10PM.png.41a7d5a7573d8be7e8c9ce0588ca4e00.png

 

Clicking on Apps / Local Storage lets you see the size of your storage drive, how much space is used, and how much space is available on the micro SD card.

747628432_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_44_22PM.png.63c4631b448a94f6894979c59334bd29.png

My drive was empty so I dropped some content into the default shared folder over the network. Here is some FLAC / Blues ready for use in playback. 

 

22755089_ScreenShot2019-07-04at5_31_41PM.png.e94bed556215a48f2a5e8e5ce5ce43da.png  

 

In order to control playback on the unit, I'm going to install LMS from Apps / Software Manager.

1238806069_ScreenShot2019-07-05at5_04_58PM.thumb.png.dde595b2a363b56a24cc16bc5d72a3ea.png

 

Go to Settings / SqueezeLite and press Save to assure SqueezeLite is running on your Rendu. 

 

Go to Apps and click on LMS to open it. At the top right corner of the application select the Rendu as the output device.

916174906_ScreenShot2019-07-05at5_19_52PM.png.0f09507941348328d7335400cc50a389.png 

 

At the bottom right corner click on Settings to open it. 

765656238_ScreenShot2019-07-05at5_21_50PM.png.3dc7d976398ac0e64b672a5e77f118e4.png

 

Rescan the Media Folder so LMS sees your newly added content and exit by pressing close at the bottom right corner.

859345478_ScreenShot2019-07-05at5_22_39PM.png.32db65b1d90afa6345943a911af6ef6f.png

 

When the scan is complete you can go to My Folder / My Music and you should see your content there available for playback.

1645966865_ScreenShot2019-07-05at5_30_52PM.png.e5f963b3f1670e92e037a245c94c6a07.png 

 

Click on something to play and enjoy the music!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK - I must admit that I know very little about MPD or YMPD, so I would like to check if I understand the above post correctly.

 

If I set up my 'Rendu exactly as detailed in post #1 above, I presume that I can then shut down the PC (or Mac) that has been used for the set-up and transferring the music files, and then play music, effectively using the 'Rendu as a music server, with just an iPad (with Rigelian or similar) for control / selecting music.  Assuming the 'Rendu is left powered up and connected to Ethernet for control, it would then be a case of picking up the tablet, select select Rigelian, select music and play.  You could alternatively use the PC (or Mac) for control, playing files locally stored on the 'Rendu 

 

Later, I could go back to the PC, run Sonicorbiter, select Roon Ready, and run the 'rendu as a Roon endpont with Roon core on the PC.  (or similar options with other modes)

 

Is this correct?  Or have I missed the point completely?😊


Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, sPS-500, SOtM modified switch, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Confused said:

OK - I must admit that I know very little about MPD or YMPD, so I would like to check if I understand the above post correctly.

 

If I set up my 'Rendu exactly as detailed in post #1 above, I presume that I can then shut down the PC (or Mac) that has been used for the set-up and transferring the music files, and then play music, effectively using the 'Rendu as a music server, with just an iPad (with Rigelian or similar) for control / selecting music.  Assuming the 'Rendu is left powered up and connected to Ethernet for control, it would then be a case of picking up the tablet, select select Rigelian, select music and play.  You could alternatively use the PC (or Mac) for control, playing files locally stored on the 'Rendu 

 

Later, I could go back to the PC, run Sonicorbiter, select Roon Ready, and run the 'rendu as a Roon endpont with Roon core on the PC.  (or similar options with other modes)

 

Is this correct?  Or have I missed the point completely?😊

You can do all the above because the combinations are endless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus besides being able to load music on the microSD card to play is there any additional reason to upgrade to the new cards?  Are there any other features that come along for the ride that the standard cards can't support?   I must admit that I came late to the party so I didn't read anything about this before now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John A said:

Jesus besides being able to load music on the microSD card to play is there any additional reason to upgrade to the new cards?  Are there any other features that come along for the ride that the standard cards can't support?   I must admit that I came late to the party so I didn't read anything about this before now.  

No because the functionality was there all along on the standard cards. What was missing was the space to put the content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice that on the Sonore website there is a pull down menu when selecting the SD card for purchase, this allows you to select for the microRendu, ultraRendu, and so on.

 

Is this just to clarify which models of 'Rendu the SD cards can be used with, or is it a case that the SD card for a microRendu would not work in the opticalRendu or other models?

 

I was thinking of buying a card to try in my microRendu, to see how I got on with functionality etc.  This would be with a view of maybe moving up to the opticalRendu, but it would be a little annoying if this meant buying a second $275 SD card.


Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, sPS-500, SOtM modified switch, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus as I believe in this concept that no server at all can provide best SQ. I want to buy the bigger card. I have read that you are going to have bigger cards. Am I correct and can I use a 1T card with my uR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Confused said:

I notice that on the Sonore website there is a pull down menu when selecting the SD card for purchase, this allows you to select for the microRendu, ultraRendu, and so on.

 

Is this just to clarify which models of 'Rendu the SD cards can be used with, or is it a case that the SD card for a microRendu would not work in the opticalRendu or other models?

 

I was thinking of buying a card to try in my microRendu, to see how I got on with functionality etc.  This would be with a view of maybe moving up to the opticalRendu, but it would be a little annoying if this meant buying a second $275 SD card.

The cards will each run on all the units, but if you swap them between units the product names will get all messed up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Summit said:

Jesus as I believe in this concept that no server at all can provide best SQ. I want to buy the bigger card. I have read that you are going to have bigger cards. Am I correct and can I use a 1T card with my uR?

The 1tb cards are not available yet and have also not been tested yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

The 1tb cards are not available yet and have also not been tested yet. 

 

What will the price be for the 1 Tb SD card and when will you test it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Summit said:

 

What will the price be for the 1 Tb SD card and when will you test it?

I don’t expect them to be available for another month. These are cost plus and the cards are currently $449 so the final price will be $549. As the cost of these goes down over time we will evaluate thing again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2019 at 12:49 PM, vortecjr said:

The cards will each run on all the units, but if you swap them between units the product names will get all messed up. 

Thanks for clarifying.  This is ideal I think.  I could buy the opticalRedu card for my microRendu, and every time I used it, it would remind me that I should really upgrade.🙂


Windows 10 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, SOtM sMS-200Ultra, tX-USBultra, sPS-500, SOtM modified switch, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...