IGNORED

NAS Longevity - Replace Now or Wait?

I have a Synology DS415play which I think is about 5 years old. I've had one drive fail in that time but that's to be expected. The NAS itself seems to perform well and reading/writing to the NAS doesn't seem different from when it was new.

I'm curious how long these tend to last?

Can they run for a decade?

Should I get a new one now?

Any experiences or advice is appreciated.

I replaced mine after 5 or 6 years, mostly because the old one could not accept drives bigger than 2Tb but also its age.

I was cleaning it frequently inside removing dust and cleaning fans. Now it's still running one a week, as a backup and it's 10 years old.

If you have a good backup you can wait for it to fail and restore your data on a new one when it'll happen (if you can live a few day without it).

They are basically low power computers with minimal peripheral components. Biggest enemy to their longevity is heat and loose power connection. Keep it cleaned/

well ventilated and the power cord firmly attached, should last many, many years, more likely that you will retire it for obsolescence after 10 years

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 7/4/2019 at 7:33 AM, davide256 said:

They are basically low power computers with minimal peripheral components. Biggest enemy to their longevity is heat and loose power connection. Keep it cleaned/

well ventilated and the power cord firmly attached, should last many, many years, more likely that you will retire it for obsolescence after 10 years

Well said.  I have a DS413 that has continued to operate without issue.  My main NAS is a DS1515+, which I hope to get many years out from.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256