IGNORED

Are you part of the cult?

Are there those among us who are disciples of the thermionic cult?  Those who revel in the glow of glass bottles? Believers in the valve?

Show us your glass!

Prima Luna Prologue

image.png.afe4880a4cda9f56642681806fc3561e.png

"Let's pick a tune and get out of this mess"  - Earl Scruggs

"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... " - Duke Ellington

The touch of tubes in recent times have been with the ifi iTube. I found it a distraction with the distortion, but might revive it for listening to pre 70’s pop music converted to digital which 90% of content needs ‘EQ’ of some sort. 

With the amplifier ‘s tape inputs, it’s easy to bypass and adjust levels. 

Wasn’t there a theory of when LP was converted to digital, the RIAA curve wasn’t compensated and bass and dynamics went flat? Maybe also some Dolby A in there as well messed music up.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The Tubes on my tubes.

Freta-tubes.jpg

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

6 hours ago, ronfint said:

Thanks. It's more or less my final stereo system. I'm not planning anything but tweaks from here on. The new Lampizator dac is scary good.

Yeah I've heard only super good things about it and I love the Jotas.

"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... " - Duke Ellington

3 hours ago, SuperRu said:

The Tubes on my tubes.

Remote Control was/is my fave Tubes album. Still  fun after all these years.

23 minutes ago, Doak said:

Very interested in the tubes in your Lampi.

What type are they, please?

The rectifier is a KR 5U4G. The others are Russian reissue Genalex Gold Lion KT77s. I'm waiting for more tube reviews for the GA2 TRP before investing in more expensive types, but for now, these KT77s are great. 

2 hours ago, ronfint said:

The rectifier is a KR 5U4G. The others are Russian reissue Genalex Gold Lion KT77s. I'm waiting for more tube reviews for the GA2 TRP before investing in more expensive types, but for now, these KT77s are great. 

Wow,,, didn't know that the Atlantic could use KT77. Special order??

14 hours ago, Soothsayerman said:

Remote Control was/is my fave Tubes album. Still  fun after all these years.

Mine is the "Completion Backwards Principle," - but more the live shows than the recording.....

Seen them many times, and my band almost warmed them up in 93 when they had a few shows in SF. Prairie Prince now paints bikes and motorcycles just a few blocks from my neighborhood.....

22 hours ago, Superdad said:

From the company I co-founded.  258 Hovland Sapphire units produced and sold from 2002-2008. Weight was 82 pounds. Custom output transformers modeled off a particularly special Peerless. Choke power supply. Hybrid tube/FET front end.

(The late actor James Gandolfini--The Sopranos--had one in his bedroom as a night light. That's what a family friend handling pieces of his estate told me. x-D)

Sapphire.jpg.68a55fca95502360b7b32dc2f27ec924.jpg

819812332_Stereophile-SapphireCvr.jpg.63a114af368de1a474039f47ebef91d0.jpg

Beautiful! I also loved both the look and sound of your Hovlands. I remember seeing and hearing them in person at CES and was surprised by how large in size and how beautiful in sound they were. I seem to remember hearing them with some Verity Audio speakers (if I'm remembering them correctly), - [might have been Talon] and really appreciated the command and control that they had over the speakers. The blue glow was waaaaaay sexy....