IGNORED

Woodstock 50 - Back To The Garden: Anniversary Experience download

Just 2 warnings related to the Woodstock 50 - Back To The Garden: Anniversary Experience download :

1) If you buy this boxset - download or physical CD - like me, this is definitive proof of getting old. Denial not possible anymore😩

2) (At least) on Qobuz, there are 33 Cd’s for download. However, be aware that these 33 Cd’s

only cover the content of the physical 10 CD boxset offered by Amazon and other sellers.

Price of the download is of the same order as on Amazon.

So this is NOT the full content of the limited 38 CD boxset.

Very strange that the download set is offered in such way!??

Dirk

In addition, I'm debating what direction to go with the purchase of this. I would normally always go hi rez download, but its virtually twice the price of the CD box set ($114.80 cd box set on Amazon vs 201.94 for the  hi rez downloads at HD Tracks). And, given the vintage of the music, and the recording conditions, I have to wonder if the download will offer a significantly better sound quality?

JC

21 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

In addition, I'm debating what direction to go with the purchase of this. I would normally always go hi rez download, but its virtually twice the price of the CD box set ($114.80 cd box set on Amazon vs 201.94 for the  hi rez downloads at HD Tracks). And, given the vintage of the music, and the recording conditions, I have to wonder if the download will offer a significantly better sound quality?

JC

I would definitely get the CDs in a case like this. Doubtful there is any sound advantage to the download, and the price clinches it. The only sonic difference you might find is one being less volume compressed than another and it’s not necessarily the hi res that’s less compressed, if they are different. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The price for the hirez download at Qobuz, as a Sublime subscriber, is 31€ per set, i.e. 93€ in total. This is far below the price of HD Tracks.

If you buy more than 20 hirez downloads, a Sublime+ subscription is easily earned back.

My only point I initially was trying to make , is the strange/confusing number of downloadable 'cds' in this particular album set

Dirk

Highresaudio offers the sets for €30 (day 1) and €45 (days 2&3) in 24/48 stating that the 24/96 material they had 
received from the publisher appears to be upsampled from "native" 48khz material, 

https://www.highresaudio.com/

8 hours ago, phil023 said:

Highresaudio offers the sets for €30 (day 1) and €45 (days 2&3) in 24/48 stating that the 24/96 material they had 
received from the publisher appears to be upsampled from "native" 48khz material, 

https://www.highresaudio.com/

Well, I just checked using MusicScope application,, and I see no reason to doubt that the rformat offered by Qobuz is really 96kHz.

As a reference, I did the same for a track of Alice Phoebe Lou, which has a rformat of 48kHz.

Dirk

Santana-96kHz.jpg

Alice Phoebe Lou_48kHz.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 9:48 AM, ddetaey said:

The price for the hirez download at Qobuz, as a Sublime subscriber, is 31€ per set, i.e. 93€ in total. This is far below the price of HD Tracks.

If you buy more than 20 hirez downloads, a Sublime+ subscription is easily earned back.

My only point I initially was trying to make , is the strange/confusing number of downloadable 'cds' in this particular album set

Dirk

I don't see it at all at Qobuz US. I wonder when it will become available? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)