IGNORED

New to me- Wharfedale Linton Heritage speakers

At AXPONA this year, I heard these in the Music Direct room and thought for the price I would try a pair. So, when I got home, I put my money down on a pair in Red Mahogany with the stands. I will say that I tend to listen to stand mount speakers more than anything else. I have Quite a few pairs from Rogers LS2's, Royd Sevens, Royd Envoys, Lin Tukans, and Elac Uni-Fi UB5's, among others. I knew the Linton's would be a little different and more than what I like. 

I will say my current system is a piecemeal system but it sounds amazing good. My main source is either a small Mini-PC with Daphile which is plugged into a TEAC UD-501 DAC. Thin in turn is plugged into an Audio Research SP-16 pre-amp. It is connected to the Kenwood L-07M monoblocks using a Blue Jean Cable BC-1 RCA cable.

I will say that the Linton's are not an easy speaker to drive. Based on the spec sheet, that came with the speakers, the speaker does have a minimum impedance of 3.5 ohm and a nominal impedance of 6 ohms. This means you will need a an amp that can deliver power at lower ohms.My set of rebuilt Kenwood L-07M amplifiers drive these speaker with no issues and way louder than I really need. My room is 12 ft by 12 ft with plaster walls and a sloped ceiling on one side. I do have DIY room treatments which I am using in the room to tame the horrid echo from the plaster walls. 

I am currently listening to the Linton's and feel they have a nice balance. What surprised me most was the amount of bass they produce, without being tubby or 'bouncy'. The bass, like most British speakers, seems to be quick and tuneful. The bass does not overload my small room as long as the volume is not too high and I really don't listen to concert hall volumes any way. I have had them for about 1.5 months now and I think they are just starting to get broken in.

I will write more as I get more impressions of these speakers.

20190528_174254[1].jpg

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I am currently listening to one of my test recordings - Caecilie Norby - Silent Ways (96/24 version). It is a very clean and precise recording which does show flaws in systems. I can say the recording sounds as good or better than some of the high end speakers I have listened to at dealers, like Revel Performa F228Be and Bowers and Wilkens 804-D3. No the Linton's are not as detailed but they are as balanced which for me says a lot. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects