IGNORED

Article: PURIFI Audio and the Audiophile Style reader's Q&A with Lars Risbo & Bruno Putzeys

Thanks a lot!

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

A quick peruse says it's all about the feedback - what I'll be curious to see is if that control loop is good enough to handle anything thrown at it - such as a somewhat duff PS, plenty of interference junk floating around, and speakers with crazy electrical characteristics.

10 hours ago, fas42 said:

A quick peruse says it's all about the feedback - what I'll be curious to see is if that control loop is good enough to handle anything thrown at it - such as a somewhat duff PS, plenty of interference junk floating around, and speakers with crazy electrical characteristics.

I guess that is what he stressed on the article, all the different unbehaved test cases he tried, and his team of reliability experts.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/purifi/

6moons got a chance to audition some demo amps. The short version: they said these amps can slug it out with the big boys, and from direct sales vendors like Nord, will probably be extremely good amps for what the audiophile market thinks isn't a lot of money. 

NAD is apparently coming out with a 2 channel version, it will be interesting to see how it's priced. They did some very nice NCore based implementations before this, and prices weren't in the stratosphere. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Had a NAD Ncore-based amp prior to getting Kalugas.  The NAD was a very nice amp for the money.  Glad Bruno made the point that class D sounds warm, etc. if the recording is warm.  Very true.  What you don't get is homogenized sound, which can be nice when recordings aren't very good.  That isn't to say the Kalugas, for example, are ruthlessly revealing.  Quite the contrary:  I'm amazed how they sound with internet radio.  But they don't reach the amazing levels they are capable of with such material.  Good old rebook, well recorded, does produce like-live sound and that works for me.  

What an amazing group of talented engineers, designers, original thinkers and doers.  Thank you for the article. 

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

7 hours ago, PYP said:

Glad Bruno made the point that class D sounds warm, etc. if the recording is warm.  Very true.  What you don't get is homogenized sound, which can be nice when recordings aren't very good

Yep, my NCore based system sounds warm on recordings that are - such as good recordings of acoustic jazz and classical. On other stuff, mostly some modern popular music such as pop-rock-hip-hop - it can sound like too much is on the high end. But that's what's on the recording. 
Fortunately, with modern technology I can use DSP to moderate the high frequency output at the flick of a (remote) switch anytime I want. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I am very happy that Purifi is also considering DIY with their modules. As amp technology is advancing to very small distortion levels it may be more interesting to focus on loudspeaker distortion. Purifi shows a mid woofer and claim it is designed to reduce driver distortion. The surround has an interesting shape: half rolled forward and half back. A rolled forward surround distorts with large movement forward (and rolled back the reverse) so does this shape really remove this distortion?

They also claim low magnetic distortion. Is this an iron less design?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

28 minutes ago, sapporo said:

Was there anything more about the drivers before editing the interview?

No, this is the original response from Les Purifiens.

Not much was questioned regarding woofer&driver in the Q&A-thread, as Bruno noted in one of his answers.

Cheers, Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I need to admit, that the impression has arrived with me, that Lars & Bruno's answers were somehow quite exhaustive and do not leave a lot of space  to continue questionings, if you compare for example the response1 and 2 from Bruno over @ ASR , there are now even questions about desert island discs answered, which I personally find quite interesting ... (Bruno does like the The Waterboys, so do I!)
Best, Tom

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 5:51 PM, R1200CL said:

t would be nice if someone could do a text version if this interview. 

There are tools that can do automatic speech to text transcription available. 

You'd better ask the content provider/s if he would do that. For any other publisher that would prove to be difficult for copyright reasons, I'd guess.
Would that work for you uploading it to youtube and use automated subtitles ?