Chopin75

The ultimate Power Supply Units for music servers (and other devices for cleaner power source)

Rate this topic

On 7/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, sandyk said:

That's absolute BS, as is much of the remainder of your reply, and exactly the reason your antiquated and disruptive views are not welcome in the main thread where they would be removed by the OP, and shouted down by many participants in the thread who use their EARS for listening, and almost all use Linear PSUs wherever possible.

you missed one

Thanks.  I hope anyone who has either listening tests or a valid electronic explanation will report it or publish their study. 

We need to get past the phenomenological

27 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Thanks.  I hope anyone who has either listening tests or a valid electronic explanation will report it or publish their study. 

We need to get past the phenomenological

Many people have zero interest in conducting such research. They’d rather live and let listen. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing Polestar | Quick Community Reviews and Ratings

On 7/30/2019 at 6:56 AM, George Hincapie said:

*Bump again*

Come on guys; not a difficult question. I have two providers lined up, but I don't want to drop £1000 on a LPSU if it makes no difference. Your personal experiences please?

The answer in my experience and trials is that the sever PSU makes absolutely zero difference (given a reasonable SMPS ATX supply). Zero.

That said my servers are not electrically connected to my audio system.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

20 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Are you interested & willing to conduct such a study? 

Yes

17 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That does NOT mean that they are necessarily correct, and those findings are at a variance with a large number of posters in Rajiv's thread.

I’ve no idea. I’ve never seen a coherent explanation of why a server PSU could affect the audio that passes across my network — hint: my network is designed to scrub & polish the bits that fly across it.

That said I haven’t heard of anyone contradicting the specific tests that I’ve done eg comparing various 10Gbe, 40Gbe and even a 100Gbe server NICs. (No SQ differences in those either)

Your Subjective reports are no more valid than those of numerous posters in that thread.

Thats the problem with subjective reports.

They never are definitive and most often biased.

As long as you are having a good old time it’s fine for entertainment. That’s why we are here. Keep it up!

15 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Yes

The life changing tweak of the week folks won’t care. Whatever you test will be obsolete before anyone could even read it :) 

47 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Audio appreciation is ultimately phenomenological 

Of course.  The pronoun I used in the post you replied to referred to noise injection, not appreciation.

11 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I’ve no idea. I’ve never seen a coherent explanation of why a server PSU could affect the audio that passes across my network — hint: my network is designed to scrub & polish the bits that fly across it.

And exactly what do those "scrubbed and polished" bits represent ?

Do they guarantee that the Audio or Video file that you are playing will LOOK or SOUND exactly the same as the original file ?

How are you able to verify this without a direct comparison using the original file vs. your file through the exact same equipment chain ?

All the members who post in Rajiv's massive thread would also like to believe that what they hear AND see is virtually identical to the original, but I would be highly surprised if there weren't quite obvious audible and visual differences between the vast majority  of the posters' systems, and yours too.¬¬

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 26-12-2019

11 minutes ago, sandyk said:

How are you able to verify this without a direct comparison using the original file vs. your file through the exact same equipment chain ?

Dude, no files to compare. Just a bitstream. I am saying that noise from the server doesn’t cross into the audio system. Let’s not get metaphysical or wander off topic. No noise or lack thereof in a server PSU affects the audio stream which enters the audio system.

4 minutes ago, jabbr said:

I am saying that noise from the server doesn’t cross into the audio system. 

And I am saying that your "scrubbed and polished" Bitstream doesn't necessarily result in looking or sounding exactly the same as the original recorded performance.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Ok, this site is not to discuss whether LPS or other PS will make a difference to servers or not. We assume and believe  there will be a difference and hence we are here to discuss PS. I do want to be more specific regards to PS for server as the title suggests but we do welcome discussing  PS for other devices too. It may be true if u isolate via network method there may no longer be difference but this is not the point here on this thread. Many of us still do single box with USB connected directly to DAC, (probably most in the world!) I only have a single optical USB + regen Usb adaptor connected to DAC. Such setup requires a clean source of power and so in this case PS becomes very important. So please do not mislead readers who may not even have network isolation.  It is my belief that a clean power source is better than trying to clean up downstream. Those who disagree here should not really be discussing here, as this is the wrong thread. Perhaps joining a thread about isolating the source would be more appropriate. Thankyou

23 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Those who disagree here should not really be discussing here, as this is the wrong thread. Perhaps joining a thread about isolating the source would be more appropriate. Thankyou

Hi Chopin 7

As the OP of this thread you have the ability to have removed the posts by those who deliberately set out to disrupt your thread ..

Alex

It is my belief that a clean power source is better than trying to clean up downstream.

It is not just my belief, I am able to prove this is a fact . However, the usual suspects are not interested in seeing AND hearing (both at the same time if their equipment is good enough) any proof that goes against their own deeply ingrained beliefs.

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Many people have zero interest in conducting such research. They’d rather live and let listen. 

As long as what they are listening to supports their beliefs...😉

Sorry but there is often too much venom spilt when someone posts a reasonable post from the opposite camp.

Is there any validity to the objective to not have any switching power supplies on the same mains circuit as the audio source components ( DAC, Preamp, DDC, etc..)? 

24 minutes ago, motberg said:

Is there any validity to the objective to not have any switching power supplies on the same mains circuit as the audio source components ( DAC, Preamp, DDC, etc..)? 

that subject is discussed in depth here: 

source:  intel nuc8i5 (roon rock) > intel nuc6i5 (win 10, ao, roon bridge, dirac v1) > schiit yggdrasil (gen 5, analog 2)
headphone rig:  bryston bha-1 > senn hd600
two-channel rig:  luminous audio axiom ii xlr walker mod > parasound a21 > monitor audio gx100

12 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

So please do not mislead readers who may not even have network isolation.

Perhaps I’m old fashioned but when you use the term “server” in the title of the thread, that implies there is a client, hence network. 

12 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

It is my belief that a clean power source is better than trying to clean up downstream. Those who disagree here should not really be discussing here, as this is the wrong thread.

So you are looking to make a proclamation and the only responders are intended to be people who agree with your beliefs. Nice.

In my world, I use different power supplies for different applications. 

Carry on.

12 hours ago, sandyk said:

... I am able to prove this is a fact . ...

ok, prove it

or do you only post to disrupt?

By using a power conditioner or battery backup to provide juice to a supply a lot power supply noise can be eliminated.

"Let's pick a tune and get out of this mess"  - Earl Scruggs

"There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... " - Duke Ellington

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

ok, prove it

or do you only post to disrupt?

I have DIRECTLY offered you proof on several occasions, even via a PM but you have shown that you are not interested.

Now please obey the request of the OP and cease polluting this thread with posts that you know are not wanted here.

10 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I have DIRECTLY offered you proof on several occasions, even via a PM but you have shown that you are not interested.

No you haven't.  You offered some BS, but if you think that is proof you are seriously unhinged.

Now please obey the request of the OP and cease polluting this thread with posts that you know are not wanted here.