IGNORED

The ultimate Power Supply Units for music servers (and other devices for cleaner power source)

The digital to analogue conversion always takes place in the DAC and it is always the local oscillators that is involved in the D -> A conversion clocking. So no matter if we are talking SPDIF, AES or async USB the final conversion is always done by the D/A conversion clock in the DAC. Besides the D/A conversion oscillators that is placed very near the dac chip in the DAC, we also have other oscillators that are clocking the digital interfaces: SPDIF, LAN, AES and USB.

The difference between SPDIF/AES and async USB is not which clock that does the final conversion, it’s about there the master clock is located - in the DAC or in the source upstream of the DAC.

The master clock dictate the clock and sample rate and the timing for sending/receiving the digital stream, which are sent to the D/A conversion clock. I repeat the master clock dictate how to send the digital signal to the DAC and at what speed/rate. With no type of digital interface the conversion clocks in the DAC is bypassed, never.

Both USB, LAN and SPDIF/AES are clocked with other oscillators which operate on totally different clock frequencies than the final conversion clocks: 44.1, 88.2, 96 Khz, 192, DSD 1, DSD 2 and so on sample rates.  

34 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Incoming!  You can have the best clocks in the World anywhere in your system but if you don’t ameliorate vibration, they won’t perform at their best and you’ve probably wasted quite some money.   Crystal oscillators depend on the vibration and mechanical resonance of a piezoelectric crystal. External vibration can couple into the device and degrade its performance through output frequency shifts and increased phase noise.  IME its not only good quality upstream oscillators that improve performance, but also how well they’re isolated from vibration through a stable, quiet platform. 

Yes this is true as is the right temperature, good shielding against EMI/RFI and that it is feed clean and steady power that doesn’t fluctuate/oscillate.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, str-1 said:

Finally went for a 2-rail standard-build SR7.  Ordered and paid for on 22nd October.  PHD Ltd have told me that the transformer has been ordered and they will try to get the supply to me before Christmas.

If I may ask, what was it that made you pick the 2-rail SR7 instead of one of the other top LPS that have been discussed here?