IGNORED

The ultimate Power Supply Units for music servers (and other devices for cleaner power source)

On 7/29/2019 at 12:21 AM, George Hincapie said:

Can I ask generally, for those of you who have upgraded the power supplies for your music servers from SMPS to LPSU, what impact did that have? What was the scale of perceived improvement if there was any? Did any of you go through this process and fail to note any improvement?

*Bump*

On 7/29/2019 at 12:21 AM, George Hincapie said:

Can I ask generally, for those of you who have upgraded the power supplies for your music servers from SMPS to LPSU, what impact did that have? What was the scale of perceived improvement if there was any? Did any of you go through this process and fail to note any improvement?

*Bump again*

Come on guys; not a difficult question. I have two providers lined up, but I don't want to drop £1000 on a LPSU if it makes no difference. Your personal experiences please?

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Try asking the same question in the main thread " A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming "

where you will find the vast majority are using linear PSUs.

That's not to say though, that you can't also vastly improve the supply rails of SMPS PSus with similar Linear voltage regulator techniques.

Don't the same people read this thread?

Will give it a try, thanks.

37 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

When I got my NUC 7i5 that runs Roon ROCK, I already had an HDPLEX 100 and a cheap 12V 6a zero zone LPS on hand. I powered the NUC with the 19v rail on the HDPLEX until I accidentally blew that rail, and now with the 12v Zerozone. Can't say I noticed a difference between the two, and I never even unwrapped the SMPS supplied so no baseline to compare. How's that for a non-answer? I would just consider whether you really need to spend 1k on the server power supply unless it will serve as an endpoint also - you might want to try a cheaper option and spend the $ elsewhere in your chain. 

Well it's a response, so that's great! :)

My server feeds a Metrum Acoustics Ambre Roon EP via ethernet. My concern is that my configuration may mean I won't realise any improvement. If that's the truth, then fine; I can live with that. I'd rather not spend the money and then find out.

• 1 month later...

I have recently bought a new power distribution block for my main system components; the sockets are electrically filtered. On first listening, my perception was that the presentation was less 'musical'. Veiled in other words. Not massively, but I noticed it immediately upon first use and that sense hasn't really gone away after a few days.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can I please have views on electrical filtering and it's impact upon SQ?

Really not sure if it is a positive or negative change. As in, it has got rid of something I perceived to be 'normal' before that shouldn't have been there and I just don't like it, or whether it's robbing the music of something.

It's this: http://tomanek.net.pl/tomanek-tap8-z-dc-blockerami-listwa-zasilajaca-do-sprzetu-audio-z-filtrem-oraz-dc-blockerami.html

3 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

Hmm, it is in Polish, correct? So I can't really tell what it is supposed to do. But perhaps you need to have it burn in for few wks. (300-500 hrs ?). Is it now the music is cleaner and thinner, more lean? This can happen when  dirt in the PS/line is cleaned up. And may have a perceived lack of warmth. Or it is merely unmasking defects in the sound system. 

Google Chrome automatically translates it for me into English. It has 2 DC blocker sockets, the other 6 have Schaffer filters. Yes, the sound has less depth and detail. Not hugely, but enough to worry me into posting about it.