IGNORED

The ultimate Power Supply Units for music servers (and other devices for cleaner power source)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in between servers at the moment (not yet decided on the successor to the one I've just sold) and have been making do with a temporary system that has no connection to mains power.  That system is a Chord Electronics M Scaler/Hugo TT 2 combo, which is fed from an AK380 DAP via optical. 

The identical smps supplied with the Chord devices were good enough to give me some insight into what the M Scaler and TT2 could do but it was soon clear that swapping out those supplies for a pair of Poweradd Pilot Pro 2 battery packs brought clear benefit in terms of a noticeably cleaner sound with less grain and unnatural brightness.  Things sounded more natural. 

I bought a couple of these (hard to get in the UK) battery packs only because the Chord DAC's designer, Rob Watts, let it be known that those were the ones he uses with his M Scaler and TT2 when travelling.  They are clearly general purpose power sources intended primarily for charging phones, laptops and laptops and I expect they do not represent the best that this type of power source could in theory bring to high-end audio.  So I have two questions.

Does anyone know of better off-the-shelf battery packs for audio with dc output in the range 12v-15v (the two voltage settings most useful to me)?

With current materials and understanding, how much scope is there to design an audio grade battery pack that would be significantly better than general purpose packs like the Pilot Pro 2 that could challenge the very best linear power supplies?

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 7:50 PM, baconbrain said:

Received my Sean Jacobs DC3 PSU a couple days ago and am using it to power my HQPlayer PC. With this purchase, I am now powering 90 % of my digital signal chain with Sean's PSU designs. (Server, HQplayer, Endpoint, and Switch)

Just wanted to mention that the improvement in overall SQ was (in my sincere opinion) immediate and apparrent. 

So with all the interesting scientific discussions going on in this thread, the proof for me is in the SQ pudding.

My perception: The quality of a PSU clearly makes a distinguishable difference throughout the signal chain.

I’ve already had some very helpful exchanges with Sean and feel myself ever closer to placing an order for a 2-rail fixed voltage supply with all the upgrade options, including the same regulator parts used in the Innuos Statement, which Sean says bring a slight advantage.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2019 at 8:52 AM, baconbrain said:

I had my DC3 built to the same specs as the Zenith SE and am not regretting the purchase one bit. Sean was even nice enough to provide me with longer connecting cables at no additional cost when I changed my mind at the last minute.

Fantastic service and product.

Have you ever heard any of the Paul Hynes PSUs and have a basis for commenting on how they compare to Sean’s DC3?

I find myself in two minds again now that I have learned that the Paul Hynes SR5s and standard-build SR7s are available to order from PHD Ltd, and have seen the info sheets for these.

• 1 month later...

Finally went for a 2-rail standard-build SR7.  Ordered and paid for on 22nd October.  PHD Ltd have told me that the transformer has been ordered and they will try to get the supply to me before Christmas.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Can anyone report on a good experience they have had upgrading the standard IEC inlet on their power supply to one of the Furutech rhodium options?