IGNORED

The ultimate Power Supply Units for music servers (and other devices for cleaner power source)

18 hours ago, gstew said:

I use this technique to parallel 2 LPS-1/1.2s for several applications in my setups... one is as my reference 5V supply un-modified RPi or SDTrans384 SD card player power source for I2S streaming... another is as the 6V power into Alexey's RPi Mezzanine boards for my reference RPi setups where I have modified the RPis to remove the on-board DC-DC converter chip and feed 5V, 3.3V, and 1.8V to the RPi from Alexey's boards.

Where I've done this I used dual 3||LT3045 boards I got from Stammheim on DIYAudio. He no longer sells bare boards (it is a challenging SMD build and he had to do a lot of support), but he now sells them ready-made at www.mpaudio.net. His SD-HPULN PS would work well for this as it only accepts DC inputs. The only modification I'd make to the board would be to replace the adjustment pots with good fixed .1% thin film SMD resistors for the best voltage matching both at first and over time.

This is a good DIY solution for increasing the current available from Uptone LPS-1/1.2s and in the applications above (which will sorta work with a single LPS-1/1.2) the additional current headroom shows up as improved dynamics.  

I suspect John thought my post was a request for him to do something like this or modify the LPS-1.2 to do this. That was not my intent John... I already have a good DIY solution. Sorry for the confusion!

Alexey's boards at LDOVR.com should work well for this application too. If you want to do this  with his products, I'd suggest using 2 of his LT3045-1A5 Ultra Low Noise LDO Voltage Regulator boards (3||LT3045 each), again using .1% thin film resistors for good voltage output matching.

I have just about as many of LDOVR.com's great products around as I have MPAudio.net's. Using them in concert with the great Uptone Audio LPS-1/1.2''s transformed many of my DIY efforts!

Greg in Mississippi

I would be very surprised if not @Superdad and John hasn’t figured this out long time ago them self. 

I’m quite sure Uptone at some point will do something regarding using the UltraCap technology one way or another to be able to feed the “required”  1.5 A into a opticalRendu. 

To me, the simplest solution is to inject Vbus power from a second LPS-1.2. So I’m hoping for a new USPCB with such an option available.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

It may be the simplest solution for some, but it's still an expensive option.

Yes, you would need to have at least one LPS-1.2 from before. Otherwise the JS-2 may, or may not be the best option for an OpticalRendu. Then you can also power other items in addition. 
(Still an expensive solution). 

Looking forward to Chris review part two, where he has indicated he will compare different PS used with the OpticalRendu. 

Since almost everyone was reporting better SQ with

the previous Rendus, it’s a bit agains my religion to use a normal LPS on my opticalRendu. 

That said, my opticalRendu has now been stable for more than a week running on 9V in combination withe a modified SU-1. (Draws 100mA Vbus).

So I may not need a new PS. 

13 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

But at some point the MicroRendu 1.4 is going to be the limiting factor. I'd therefore place equal emphasis (and budget) on upgrading the renderer. The ultrarendu if you want to stick with Sonore or an Audiolinux NUC should both outperform the microrendu.

The MicroRendu 1.4 is quite similar to the UltraRendu. He needs to go opticalRendu.

He could experiment with an LPS-1.2 adding Vbus power to the MicroRendu. 

There is of cause a reason why the MicroRendu 1.4 isn’t available anymore. Everyone would do that upgrade instead of buying an UltraRendu (if they knew it was equal), and that isn’t good for Sonore business. 
And the only difference between 1.3 and 1.4 is the clock. 

John has just posted the difference between UltraRendu and opticalRendu. 

56 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

I'd personally go the audiolinux NUC route

Are there any difference between what NUC you use ?

The Novel tread is so huge I lost track of what’s best practice.

I have a NUC available and I bought Audiolinux, but that’s as far as I got.

Next step is probably a NUC with SFP port 😀

17 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

My DAC needs no bus power and has very good async USB input. My LPS 1.1 (as I call it with the Lt3045 cable) will now be able to shuffle over to the oM, the HDPLEX to the oM and external HD downstairs, etc. Fun times ahead shuffling power supplies and building cables. 

I think an opticalModule in front of your MicroRendu 1.4 is an extremely nice and best value for money solution you can get. (And you have very, if not the best power available as well). 

To beat that you would need both the EtherRegen and the opticalRendu, and you wouldn’t be sure if that close to 2K investment really is worth the difference in SQ. 

But where are you going to use the newly purchased Sonore power supply ?

You’re not downgrading your UltraCaps? 😀

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

Not a NUC. A server I built. And no, I don't use HQPlayer and don't upsample. I use Euphony / Stylus. The resolution does not matter in my system. The recording does. Some 44.1k files sound better than 192k and vice versa. It's all about the recording process and how much care was taken to preserve the original recording quality.

It just turns out that in my system the faster the CPU is, the better it sounds. 

A dual-core 1GHz iMX6 in my book is exactly what I mean by slow and low powered CPU. I went from a quad core 2.5Ghz CPU to an Intel i9-9900K and the difference was stunning. It's not about whether the CPU has enough power to do the job. It's something else, which I don't understand. 

My CPU barely has to do anything at all. This is how much it is utilized while playing. But it sounds amazing!

CPU.jpg.f42a1d01e62b9387a3651b98d3ae9874.jpg

Obviously you need a really good power supply with this CPU. It can sound bright and harsh as hell if you don't have clean DC power for it. A lot of that is discussed in the novel thread. 

I hope you have the chance one day to try the opticalRendu. With one of the supplies listed at Sonore’s site.

Good DC cables is also essential, and maybe try the USPCB as well.  

11 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I would think the Ultra  should be better than the LPS-1; LPS 1.2 

How did you get that idea ?

If there is anything written that an LPS is better than the UltraCaps somewhere, I like to know, cause then I order the JS-2 right away 😀

(or the Sonore Ultra). 

On 7/8/2019 at 9:56 AM, Le Concombre Masqué said:

expensive ethernet cables: that's puzzling me ; have you found right ethernet cables, that is UTP type, no metal in connector and etc that defeat the galvanic isolation by design AND that are expensive?

Try blue jeans or Ghent Audio. Both use Belden. 

10 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

blue jeans look ok, not the Ghent

May I ask why ? 
The Ghentaudio ones use a fully double shield Belden with  JSSG360 not connected to the metal plugs. And the plugs itself do shielding. 

A bit same as the AudioQuest Vodka does. 

• 11 months later...