IGNORED

The ultimate Power Supply Units for music servers (and other devices for cleaner power source)

12 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

You gave the Farad3 design a good thrashing in these forums awhile back.

Excuse me?  I did no such thing.  Link please.  

If I said anything about them (I don't recall), it would have been over their publishing this bit of mis-information (since removed from their site but still on their reseller site):

"Why is Farad using the Super Capacitor power bank as smoothing caps and don't they switch between one bank while loading the other?

There are several reasons they don't do this. First it means extra switching electronics in the supply lines, second it means that you are using only half of the capacity from the super caps at a time. Third and we think most important reason: A value of 1 Farad means the capacitors are able to deliver 1 A of current for 1 second with 1 Volt drop. Suppose we have 10 F capacitance, deliver 2 A current from our supply and the regulator can typically handle a 0.5 V drop. This means capacitor banks have to be switched every 2.5 seconds... This means the final regulator gets a 0.4 Hz triangle wave with 0.5 V amplitude as an input signal, instead of a steady DC."

That last bit is 100% incorrect.

As for what is in the box not mattering:  Well I think it does.  Ask the fellow who paid $8K for a TLS One server and received it 8 months later with things rattling around inside. :/

6 hours ago, Nenon said:

And I really hope it turns out to be as good as advertised.

Well we have not advertised EtherREGEN or made bold claims. We have simply explained its technology and how none of the core of what we are doing has ever been done in any other switch. 

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Yes we do. The opticalModule is released with very nice feedback. 😀

Very different products and techniques.  The active digital isolation and dual-clock/power/data domain circuits are not present in the opticalModule. 

Still, the fact that people report nice audible results with products such as the oM and some upgraded or premium Ethernet switches certainly bodes well for the next-level tech incorporated into EtherREGEN. 

5 hours ago, davide256 said:

Mine so far is that the ISO Regen has been tailored to bandaid timing defect characteristics, vs improving actual timing.

Sorry, but that’s not how it works nor how it was designed.  

Highly improved signal integrity, impedance match, and reduced noise and jitter (all as seen on an eye-pattern) results in the USB input of your DAC generating less of its own internal ground plane and packet data noise—such that phase-noise at the clock input pin of the DAC chip is reduced. 

ISO REGEN simply reveals more of the true character of the DAC.  I suppose in some cases that is not what someone wants to hear. 

I run the same model NUC as you, also under AudioLinux (quite nicely tuned by @lmitche), and its USB ports do very much benefit from SI improvement.