IGNORED

Conundrum: AIFF or FLAC?

As a dedicated Apple user, which format should I select to download high-resolution music files? I have used other sites where the only option is FLAC. I have converted these files to use on my Mac and iPhone, but hate managing two different sets of the same songs. Often times I am in another location, non-mobile, but not at home when I am listening. I am trying out JRiver’s Media Center, which is a manageable price – streaming is not high on my priority list. If someone invites or wants me to listen to some songs, they are often provided in the FLAC format. Yes, I realize FLAC and AIFF are about the same, but iTunes still doesn’t play FLAC files. Hence, my trial before moving to JRiver.

Any thoughts?

Everyone: Thanks for your responses!

wwaldmanfan: I used other sites to download music, but the only option on some of those sites was FLAC. And I did use XLD to convert them to AIFF. Currently, I have used qobuz more and more and it offers a good variety of formats. I saw they have the latest Prince disc, "Originals," and I wanted to make sure I picked the best format, especially since they offer it as 24-Bit/96 kHz, for the Mac.

I hadn’t heard of MediaHuman Audio Converter, but I just downloaded it and gave it a whirl – I like it!

Thanks!