IGNORED

What is most important factor in digital audio playback quality?

What is the most important factor in digital audio playback quality?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know, that question is difficult to answer. Pretty much anything and everything can be a consideration in determining the quality of audio playback. But, regardless, in any particular situation, something is going to be more important that anything else. I believe that we generally find that one thing in our own systems, and am interested in what that may be. Of course, you are welcome to leave a comment in the thread explaining your choice, adding a choice I left out, or even ranking several choices in order.  The poll could not be exhaustive, so feel free to add your comments!

Discussion welcome and encouraged! Please keep any disagreements focused on ideas, things, concepts, reports, testing, or anything else except forum members. :) 

-Paul 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

A DAC is both analogue and digital.

Good point - every digital playback system has a device that is a hybrid digital/analog device. I would tend to put DACs on the Digital Side, and ADCs on the Analog side, just based upon their input. It is just as valid to look at their outputs though. 

Thanks 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

are distortions fungible?

anyway, this would be a much harder decision if choices for speakers, room, and mp3 had been excluded

Sure - distortion in an analog amp may serve to have the same audible result as distortion from a noisy computer I suppose. In the end, all distortion, in the sense of digital playback, is analog isn't it? 

What would your choices be if I had not included speakers or the room, etc? 

Robert A. Heinlein

2 hours ago, mansr said:

The performance of both devices is mainly determined by their analogue parts.

I would suggest that the performance of a DAC, and probably an ADC,  is much more determined by their software/firmware. The analog parts are easy to get right, in comparison. DAC filters seem to be much more of a distinguishing characteristic than the simple low power amp section. 

Of course, you can argue the opposite. What makes you think so?

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Anyway, I don't think this is a question that can be answered Paul. The entire system is important, not just one link in it.

Sure it can. If you were going to be able to replace/upgrade only one component, for the rest of your life, what would it be?  Fortunately, I do not think any of us have to really face a choice like that, but it is a fun thought experiment.

For me, it would probably be speakers, if it included the room to house them. :)  

Robert A. Heinlein

5 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Ok Paul, what's the point of an 80K Nagra DAC and pawn shop crap speakers and beat to hell receiver using Home Depot speaker wire?

Not much, but make those speakers one of many different powered or passive speakers, and the equation changes quickly, for me. 

Robert A. Heinlein

Honestly, not sure. I really think speakers make the most impact on the quality of sound. Existing equipment can put out awesome sound. 😁

Not trying to queer your pitch there. If I had a $79 K-Mart special all in one amp/tuner/ceramic cart turntable thing, my answer would be different of course. 

Assuming a totally analog system I was happy with though, adding a good player/DAC might take the top spot.

So many folks just add a Sonos to the Mix and call it done. That is not bad, but digital playback can be so much better. 

Robert A. Heinlein

16 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I think we need a new thread that starts out "So let's say you had your dream speakers..." what electronic equipment would be most important: DAC, pre-amp, or amp?

assuming they are all boxed items, not a pre-amp that is built in to a DAC...

I think you can do that right in this thread if you wish. Just so long as you tie it to digital music playback in some manner. 

There are far too many variables to try and narrow a thread down that far, as the most important component of any system may - almost certainly will - vary with the system. For example what if your "speakers" are a set of headphones? What if your source and player is an iPhone or a Galaxy tablet? 

In my system, I think the digital parts would be difficult to improve enough to impress me, and the most important part of the digital playback chain is the DAC. Followed closely in importance by the player. But- that assumes the rest of the system is able to handle the digital playback well. 

The questions that opens up are pretty endless - can headphones be enough to make an iPhone sound great as a digital playback system? You can probably guess where it would go from there. 

I have a rough and not completely formed idea that there are distinct stages that must be considered. Source, player, DAC, amp, speakers - in that order perhaps? What if streaming is an integral part of your playback system?  Does the network really count? Ethernet cables? Would changing them significantly degrade your pleasure in the playback? 

It is hard to think out of the box in this area, as there are so many things everyone "knows." 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein

44 minutes ago, rvb said:

Most important is at home it must sound precise the same as live.

That is an interesting point of view. :) 

The normal question posed to that, is what about music that has no live counterpart? Or the live music is so distorted and messed about with by the venue it is not a very good recording? 

-Paul 

Robert A. Heinlein