IGNORED

What is most important factor in digital audio playback quality?

What is the most important factor in digital audio playback quality?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As you already know, the answer from me as to the most important analog factor is to make oneself aware of defects in the SQ, from simple listening to what the speakers are producing, and then through a steady process of trial and error, experimenting, and using one's experience eliminate all the issues that are degrading the perceived quality. This is the only method that I know that works; just buying a solution is almost impossible - at the moment.

On the digital side, the DAC is the heart of the matter - a completely pristine implementation is absolutely essential for good sound; and then ensures robustness against all other factors ... so my answer here is also hybrid, :).

29 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Anyway, I don't think this is a question that can be answered Paul. The entire system is important, not just one link in it.

Yes, that's it ... too damn simple an answer, of course - like asking why you're not satisfied with your brand new car - "You just have to get used to those odd rattles and creaks, and that it hesitates badly when accelerating, sir - you're asking a bit much, expecting it to be fault free, you know ... "

31 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Sure it can. If you were going to be able to replace/upgrade only one component, for the rest of your life, what would it be?  Fortunately, I do not think any of us have to really face a choice like that, but it is a fun thought experiment. :)  

That's easy ... the power amp. It does the most damage to the electrical environment, by the type and level of current draws it requires from the mains, and that are produced at the output stage. Buy the best engineered, most over the top in terms of voltage swing and current delivery unit you can get hold of - this will ensure that genuine dynamics will always be obtainable, irrespective of speakers used. The rest can be cheap and nasty, but you won't notice, because you will be having too much of a good time, getting big impact sound :).

22 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Prove it by designing and submitting a relatively inexpensive DAC to Chris for review.  :P

Just a 24/192 DAC would do for starters .

Rather pointless to do when a relatively cheap IC will deliver the goods - the fun starts when you start to work out how to 'feed' that chip; that is, precisely how every single pin connection is conditioned, or regulated, to ensure the chip is given the best chance of doing its job correctly.

Alex, getting the digital part 'right' is actually about making sure that the analogue qualities of the signals that represent the digital information don't cause problems. Ultimately, it's always about analogue qualities - whether you choose to call something digital, and something else analogue is a bit of a word game - the circuitry, and the electrons only know about the analogue world, irrespective of how we wish to view it.

1 hour ago, rn701 said:

The expertise of the band, producers and engineers that recorded and mastered the album. 

Do y'all listen to components or music?

People will have their preferences, but what I enjoy is the energy and the texture of music making events. Being able to "see" a performer's arm move around as he plays, say, is about as far from being interesting to me as I could conceive as an experience - that aspect is merely a curiosity of the whole.

Some of the best and most interesting music to listen to has been recorded "badly", as audiophiles love to whinge about, x-D. Well, it's possible to get off that silly treadmill, and sort a system so that the energy and texture of the event that was captured comes through loud and clear. Then, provided the band were half competent, and being able to ignore how much the producers and engineers made a mess of things - you get to be able to enjoy, yes, music - and the components that you are listening through cease to play a significant part.

Every exercise where the focus is on what is the most important component, is doomed to never yield the best quality possible from the intrinsic capability of the rig components. What is the most important aspect of a plane always delivering its passengers safely to their destination? Is it because it has the latest engines, or the wing geometry has been optimised to the n'th degree - or is it because the pilot had an excellent night's sleep beforehand, and a maintenance person wasn't happy with the fit of a bolt somewhere, and went to some effort to "make it right".

Good playback doesn't sound "precisely the same as live"; what it does is generate the same sense of energy, drive and engagement that live music making does with ease - that's where the real 'magic' is ... ^_^.