IGNORED

More power to you - AC⚡DC FOREVER

6 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

These are interesting products, their Iso PS  can power my USB bridge or SATA drive, though none would be adequate for my PC streamer. They are however cheaper than Farad (< than 1/2) so I can buy 2 of these for price of 1! Though my PinkFaun USB bridge may benefit from 3A, I think the ciunas is only at 2 A but then it states > 2 Amp so does it mean it can do 3 A or more if needed but all the time ? 

19 hours ago, tapatrick said:

....and John is currently developing a higher powered variable version 12-25v which I am very interested in to run NUCs.

Yes contact John Kenny over on https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/supercapacitor-power-supply-tour.223681/page-12#post-3704107

you can currently try out the 5v version on his Supercap PSU tour.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

11 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

I am quite interested in the Teddypardo, he stated he is not doing LPS nor SWPS, so what exactly is it? the technical page is too complex, I hope someone can summarize! 

It's a linear regulator made with discrete components.

9 hours ago, mansr said:

It's a linear regulator made with discrete components.

Going by the residual mains related artifacts he may be using a bridge rectifier without a bulky transformer, a bit like the original transformerless TVs with hot chassis from years ago,(Rank Arena, Sharp etc.)  then regulating the voltage output with his discrete Linear Regulator ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Going by the residual mains related artifacts he may be using a bridge rectifier without a bulky transformer, a bit like the original transformerless TVs with hot chassis from years ago,(Rank Arena, Sharp etc.)  then regulating the voltage output with his discrete Linear Regulator ?

The available schematic doesn't show the rectification. Could be anything.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

The available schematic doesn't show the rectification. Could be anything.

According to Mr. Pardo and as seen in photos, some of his supplies use an SMPS brick inside for the AC>DC and then he runs that through his regulator board:

And some linked photos:

Pretty sure his 2A supplies have their own trans and rectifier diodes though.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

According to Mr. Pardo and as seen in photos, some of his supplies use an SMPS brick inside for the AC>DC and then he runs that through his regulator board:

And some linked photos:

Pretty sure his 2A supplies have their own trans and rectifier diodes though.

Ok, I hope I am not mistaken but from the link to the other thread, it shows pics where basically the Teddy Prado is based on a Japanese brick SMPS (looks like the regular brick for cheap laptop), correct ?. I am not technical but does he just basically clean up the generic SMPS and call it a special SMPS? I know he started with DIY project but this is really too much of DIY!  Sorry, but the prices he charge may be too much for this design, though I hope not all his PS are like this. 

SMPS can be noisy and generate unwanted frequencies bu they are cheap and plentiful.

Most of the common mode noise can be blocked with a typical type EMC device, but looking at the elements of the filter, it seems to be hampered by using a single ended power supply with one end grounded. The two caps with a centre ground have virtually only one cap effective since the other is practically shorted by the grounded 0V.

So why not use two sMPS in series at half the required voltage in a balanced configuration and add a common mode choke in the right way? In the filter below referring to C2 & C4 and midway connection chassis point. The centre point of the series sMPS is grounded and therefore C4 has an effective cap over a real centre point. DC passes right through and AC gets left behind. Any residual crud heading back to the sMPS is further attenuated by the balanced DC. 

image.png.c7b79c7a4942dd24ec3a3aefbb57db0a.png

For the 2 JCAT boards in the server, I plan to use two 2.5V, 150W (smallest rating the shoppe had) cage type SMPS and wire in a common mode or even better a combo differential filter. The balance of the upper and lower supply can be adjusted to have minimal drift and create accurate voltages between each rail and ground. What's more to the point, an SMPS has a very good regulation compared to a linear supply and a faster overvoltage protection. Will let you know how this works in a few weeks time.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1 hour ago, One and a half said:

So why not use two sMPS in series at half the required voltage in a balanced configuration and add a common mode choke in the right way?

Hi Gary

It may not be quite as straightforward as hoped for ?

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?353621-connecting-2-smps-in-series

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Hi Gary

It may not be quite as straightforward as hoped for ?

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?353621-connecting-2-smps-in-series

Kind Regards

Alex

Not enough words to describe..... in previous post.

Both inputs to the smps are paralleled on the 230V side. The outputs are in series, ugh a drawing will show what I mean. The common mode filter is after the output, so the filter sees 5V line to line.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2019 at 11:17 PM, luisma said:

Hi, @Chopin75Do you know of anyone who has experience with this one? 

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/supercapacitor-power-supply-tour.223681/page-14

I have tried the 5v and bought a 7v. These are excellent power supplies rivalling the SR4 in effect on SQ in my system.

1743168678_ScreenShot2019-08-26at10_15_59.thumb.png.0e3c58432c11cc16e664c2e3637654d5.png

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

What PS have people actually tried here.  I tried a HDPlex 100 Watt.  It sound nice on my modem.  It did not have enough power to run my modem and router. 

A friend has the Keces.  It runs both his modem and router.  Both us find these 2 devices to be an improvement over the stock switch mode PS.