IGNORED

Article: Sonore opticalRendu & Signature Rendu SE Optical Review | Part 1

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

This may appeal to some but I don't think Roon with its robust functionality need be concerned. Also, this is totally against the whole reason for the Rendu series of products. The Rendus were supposed to be an endpoint quiet zone with all the storage, retrieval and associated processing happening elsewhere. This puts it all back in one place.

There is still the problem of back-up and additions/deletions. The material for the SD card will have to be archived somewhere else and new material will have to be obtained on a real computer and then moved to the SD card.

I tried this for streaming only with both of my Rendus a long time back (it has always been possible to run both Squeezelite and LMS together on a Rendu) and it worked fine but I thought that it sounded better with LMS running on another machine (a sonicTransporter) elsewhere on the network.

In the end, no matter how you dress it up, it is still LMS.

For those asking if this will work with Roon, I doubt it. Roon core does not run on the Rendus, only Roon Ready which is strictly a rendering function.

I don't expect everyone will need this feature and I would not force the cost on people that don't. This is why it's an option. This don't change the unit in anyway because it's just a micro SD card swap and playback is from RAM as usual. This is computer audio after all and clearly you will need to manage the files. You don't have to use LMS / SqueezeLite and if you prefer you can use MPD / YMPD for local playback. A lot of people use LMS and really like. I think LMS it's great and hard to argue the price...free.

Pretty cool new addition and great that new features are being added to older devices. 

Not something I would use though. I was hoping for native app support or Chromecast. 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

I don't expect everyone will need this feature and I would not force the cost on people that don't. This is why it's an option. This don't change the unit in anyway because it's just a micro SD card swap and playback is from RAM as usual. This is computer audio after all and clear ly you will need to manage the files. You don't have to use LMS / SqueezeLite and if you prefer you can use MPD / YMPD for local playback. A lot of people use LMS and really like. I think LMS it's great and hard to argue the price...free.

Please don't misunderstand me. As I said, this will appeal to some users especially those who don't wish to pay for software. I used LMS for so many years and although it worked, I was really happy when Roon came along. I don't mind paying them for a very good and getting better product. I can stream Tidal and Qobuz, have great metadata, seamless integration with HQPlayer and I can do it with ease using Sonre and SGC products. I no longer have a local library so MPD/YMPD are not something I would use.

Thanks for the continued innovation.

34 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Please don't misunderstand me. As I said, this will appeal to some users especially those who don't wish to pay for software. I used LMS for so many years and although it worked, I was really happy when Roon came along. I don't mind paying them for a very good and getting better product. I can stream Tidal and Qobuz, have great metadata, seamless integration with HQPlayer and I can do it with ease using Sonre and SGC products. I no longer have a local library so MPD/YMPD are not something I would use.

Thanks for the continued innovation.

No worries. Let me say this...LMS supports those features including streaming to HQ Player along with hundreds of other plug-ins. Anyways by all means use Roon or whatever else you like because we support it. We are all about options.  

10 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I should've noted that I'm using the very upgraded PSU with the opticalRendu.

Would you mind telling us what "very upgraded PSU" you are using?

Many of us are looking for a PS for our ORs.

Thank you

G

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

SqueezeLite was the reason we made a renderer in the first place. I bet most people don't know the name of the first renderer we made that featured SqueezeLite. Maybe firedog knows:)     

That renderer sounded quite good, especially with a good PS. 
But all of the Rendu series is better, both in terms of sound and performance,  and the OS is much better now. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, thotdoc said:

Would you mind telling us what "very upgraded PSU" you are using?

Many of us are looking for a PS for our ORs.

Thank you

G

Chris had a Sonore Signature power supply from the microRendu review. So we updated it for this review. It's more or less the PS in the Signature Rendu SE optical he will be reviewing in part two.  

10 hours ago, vortecjr said:

There is not much happening on that front.

I personally would be happy to pay for another SD card if the big streaming services Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, Deezer, Google Play and or Chromecast were added.
There is the thread about Chromecast so others are interested in this too but maybe not so happy to pay.

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Chris had a Sonore Signature power supply from the microRendu review. So we updated it for this review. It's more or less the PS in the Signature Rendu SE optical he will be reviewing in part two.  

Thank you.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I believe Google’s requirements to turn an endpoint into a Chromecast endpoint are quite steep and impossible for most. Plus, Google owns StreamUnlimited, the company that makes such endpoints. 

Yeah I wouldn't doubt it but more and more companies are beginning to incorporate it. I am just being hopeful.

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

But you can't get this power supply without buying a Signature Rendu SE optical, right?  You can only get the cost reduced version (ultraSupply) for $529.  Does Chris's unit include the Turbo option (Tier II upgrade)?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Talk about going back in time 15 years! Click on the link to Sonore's terrible website. They expect you to buy their $3445 Signature Rendu SE optical based on one low-res picture of the front of the unit. No picture of the rear of the unit and the connectivity. Yes, that website is a real blast from the past as it looks like it was designed by a high school kid in 2004. 

2 minutes ago, ArthurOtt said:

Talk about going back in time 15 years! Click on the link to Sonore's terrible website. They expect you to buy their $3445 Signature Rendu SE optical based on one low-res picture of the front of the unit. No picture of the rear of the unit and the connectivity. Yes, that website is a real blast from the past as it looks like it was designed by a high school kid in 2004. 

Is this comment meant to add to the community or increase our enjoyment of this wonderful hobby? 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yeah, too bad Sonore doesn't put together some really slick packaging and promises like LH Labs did - then audiofools would have no problem dropping two or three times that for products that DON'T EVEN EXIST YET. But boy those mock up pics sure are nice.... 

I think if you know you want/need/can afford the Signature SE a fancier website isn't going to make a difference in one's purchasing decisions. It's out of stock anyway, so obviously many care more about the sound and function than a pretty website. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Chris,

I have been waiting a watching for more on the new Rendu devices.  Many of us have spend a lot of time and effort working on other D-D devices. NUC’s etc.  We have had what I consider pretty good luck in improving sound quality.   This is a lot of fun, expense and work.  I for one am very interested in your results. And your new speakers!   

To me one of the most interesting parts of the signature Rendu device is close integration of the power supply and other improvements they have provided in that box.  There is also mention of software improvements for Sound Quality.  I would love to hear more about that.  With all the AudioLinux and Euphony OS testing and listening some of us have done this is of great interest to a part of the community at least.  

Solving the AirPlay/Chromecast issues is also of great interest but maybe not in the Rendu for now.  I have just dedicated a digital input on my system for this and have used a HDMI audio extractor to “solve” that problem.  It is a bit brute force but it expands the system greatly.  

If we can reduce the complexity of our systems with devices like the Signature Rendu is a big win!  Is the Signature Rendu SE Optical Goldilocks?  “Just right?”  I am waiting for part two.

Bob