IGNORED

Article: Sonore opticalRendu & Signature Rendu SE Optical Review | Part 1

This may appeal to some but I don't think Roon with its robust functionality need be concerned. Also, this is totally against the whole reason for the Rendu series of products. The Rendus were supposed to be an endpoint quiet zone with all the storage, retrieval and associated processing happening elsewhere. This puts it all back in one place.

There is still the problem of back-up and additions/deletions. The material for the SD card will have to be archived somewhere else and new material will have to be obtained on a real computer and then moved to the SD card.

I tried this for streaming only with both of my Rendus a long time back (it has always been possible to run both Squeezelite and LMS together on a Rendu) and it worked fine but I thought that it sounded better with LMS running on another machine (a sonicTransporter) elsewhere on the network.

In the end, no matter how you dress it up, it is still LMS.

For those asking if this will work with Roon, I doubt it. Roon core does not run on the Rendus, only Roon Ready which is strictly a rendering function.

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

I don't expect everyone will need this feature and I would not force the cost on people that don't. This is why it's an option. This don't change the unit in anyway because it's just a micro SD card swap and playback is from RAM as usual. This is computer audio after all and clear ly you will need to manage the files. You don't have to use LMS / SqueezeLite and if you prefer you can use MPD / YMPD for local playback. A lot of people use LMS and really like. I think LMS it's great and hard to argue the price...free.

Please don't misunderstand me. As I said, this will appeal to some users especially those who don't wish to pay for software. I used LMS for so many years and although it worked, I was really happy when Roon came along. I don't mind paying them for a very good and getting better product. I can stream Tidal and Qobuz, have great metadata, seamless integration with HQPlayer and I can do it with ease using Sonre and SGC products. I no longer have a local library so MPD/YMPD are not something I would use.

Thanks for the continued innovation.