IGNORED

What to do with a dead SoTM SMS-1000?

My trusty SoTM SMS-1000 suddenly decided not to boot.  Instead, I get a clicking noise and then the drive access light goes out.  I assume that means the hard drive died. 

This is the original version that Sonore distributed, with the Vortexbox OS.  I believe that it has a PCI USB card, not the later PCIE version with its own power connector port.

On the used market, I know it wouldn't bring a grand in resale if it were working, even though it's pristine. 

I have thought about replacing the HDD and flashing the new drive with the current Vortexbox OS iso.  I believe that the existing HDD is 3 tb, but I now use larger hard drives in my NAS, so would want to upgrade the drive if possible. I asked SoTM "customer service" whether the HD can be replaced or upgraded, and, if the latter, how large the HDD could be, but never got a reply. 

Alternatively, I have thought about dismantling the unit and using the USB card in my Windows 10 desktop unit if I have a spare PCI slot and enough headroom in the power supply.  (At present, that PC has a mid-level Creative sound card.)  At that point I would dispose of the rest of the unit at a recycler. 

Do any of you have experience with a failing SMS-1000? Were you able to repair it or find someone who could do that?  If it isn't feasible to repair this unit, does the USB card still provide enough upgrade over a standard sound card to make that cannibalization make any sense?  Alternatively, I suppose I could try to sell it "as is" for repair or parts on ebay.  If that's crazy, I wouldn't mind just giving the unit to the recycler if it comes to that; think it has? 

I appreciate any input. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

I think replacing the HD would be the thing to do, if possible. Have you thought about asking Sonore or Vortexbox UK about how to do it instead of SOtM?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I thought about asking JR at Sonore, but the last time I raised an issue about an operating problem with this unit, he suggested that it was old technology and probably time to move on. (And I finally have done this in the system where this unit resided, as I just received an ultraRendu as its replacement.) I can follow up with him again. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

2 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

I thought about asking JR at Sonore, but the last time I raised an issue about an operating problem with this unit, he suggested that it was old technology and probably time to move on. (And I finally have done this in the system where this unit resided, as I just received an ultraRendu as its replacement.) I can follow up with him again. Thanks for the suggestion. 

You could also PM Barrows for advice as he is quite technical, and can be most helpful.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

You could also PM Barrows for advice as he is quite technical, and can be most helpful.

Thanks.  I emailed JR and Barrows to see if they had thoughts.

I received an offer for this unit that I am going to accept, so I have a satisfactory resolution.  Thanks for your input, gents.