IGNORED

SMS ULTRA - No Wifi / Internet Streaming - Yes it is possible

It was by accident I discovered this. Has anyone else found this and tried it?

1. I run a Hqplayer / NAA streaming setup using the SMS Ultra Neo as the Endpoint.

2. I use a second internet router ASUS AC-86 to set up a dedicated audio network separate from the fiber broadband that my ISP provides.

3. A dedicated network switch Netgear GS 105 NA hooks my Pc to the SMS 200 ultra

4. I run the broadband router, the ASUS and the Netgear all on LPS..

5. I always power on the broadband modem on Lps from the factory switching PS.. interrupting the wifi for few minutes during reboot! Drives my family crazy!

6. Last week early morning listening session I disconnected the factory PSU to my broadband modem.. as usual and then booted up my Asus and the Netgear .. the Hqplayer Server .. 

Usually if I am patient and if  I did not change any settings on the Eunhasu web interface, Hqplayer will find the NAA Endpoint automatically .. just boot up the HQplayer server after the Asus and Netgear is on line for say 5 minutes. 

So I did not bother to use my Iphone Eunhasu web interface .. Just started listening music😇

7. My wife shouted " Hey why No internet?"

I said : "Cannot be My Music playing fine"

Then i called up Eunhasu .. oops no server found

8. I had forgotten to power up the LPSU for the broadband modem😂 So no internet. 

BUT MUSIC us streaming and sounds SO Good

In short if I dont want to change any Eunhasu settings I run my system Without any Ethernet Or. Wifi.. Works Great dead silence black backgrounds.. 

• 1 month later...

Just like to share EMF/RFI experiences.. 

1. Ethernet connections between HQPlayer Server and the NAA can work Without Internet.. yes Without!

2. I use a SOTM SMS200 Ultra Neo and an Asus AC68 then a Netgear GS105 both on separate 12v LPSU. 

3. The Server can find the Sms200 as the Asus Ac68 provides the network protocol to the Netgear GS105 which connects to both the Server and NAA.

4. Periodically I find I hv to connect the Asus AC68 to my broadband router to hv the internet signal to 'refresh' the network settings! When do I hv to do this ? When my Dsd256 upsampling fr PCM starts minir stuttering!

5. What is my point?

I was hearing much more analogue impactful SQ without the internet router linkage. 

6. I had to do this internet refreshing 2 hours ago and even though my broadband router is also on 12v LPSU.. the SQ dropped immediately. so much more 'hard' less 'analogue' SQ. I tried the internet modem on the default SMOS.. Digital hardness creep into the SQ🤨

2 lessons I learnt..

1. Without Internet Sotm NAA works and gives wonderful SQ with high PRAT!

2. NAA with 2 levels of switch separation still lets thru internet noise which in the ethernet link

Guess i am waiting for the Uptone switch

YMMV

In reply to:--

Hi kelvinwsy, 
sledwards has posted a comment on a topic, HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques 

Posted in HQPlayer4 EC modulator tips and techniques

28 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

2. NAA with 2 levels of switch separation still lets thru internet noise which in the ethernet link

I am lost as to what is the "internet noise" you perceive? I have the SoTM sMS-200 Ultra and it sounds wonderful, even with the internet connection. 

Go to this Post

I hv moved my reply to this thread I started afew weeks ago.. the 'internet' noise is electrical noise generated by having the connection with the noisy broadband router.. I hv all my cables all JSSG 😂!

The music is just so much more analogue, quieter and impactful bass, mids with more body and sweeter soaring highs Without digital edge!

For those using the SMS200 it is a Zero cost trial .. You need a modem and a switch in series upstream of the SMS200 😁

Originally the ASUS 86(not 68) is to separate my music intranet from the router from the rest of my home's internet traffic. 

So broadband router (fr my ISP) connect by Ethernet cable to Asus AC 86 then to a Netgear GS-105 ; this GS105 uses the small signal transformers (built in) to provide a second level of noise isolation. 

What i did was to disconnect the Ethernet cable between the broadband router and the Asus AC-86.. The asus provides the internet address to the netgear gs105 !! The HQplayer server and the SOTM sm200 ultra neo are BOTH connected to the Netgear GS105.. 

Hqplayer CAN link up to the NAA if u let the Asus and Netgear powerup establish the IP addresses/linkage before u fire up the Sotm sm200!

Then u fire up the Hqplayer server!

The connection is very stable; for hours and dozens of albums!

Power fluctuations can drop the link I find!

I have my DAC and Sotm and the Uptone Isoregen on 1 circuit (with associated LPSU's) My speaker and HP amps (tube and SS) are on a different circuit .. When I switch between speaker and HP, link is solid . No dropping

So you're saying that disconnecting your music servers from the internet improves the sound quality. And that the Netgear GS-105 has transformers that improve noise isolation. 

I'm using Roon, so unless I decide to give Roon up, I don't see how I could disconnect my music servers from the internet, but I could at least try the Netgear switch. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Yes Roon may work Why not try ? A Netgear gs105 i paid 48usd on lazada? The lpsu 68usd from aliexpress! I am listening to Pat Metheny Trio Live Disc 1 .. u know SQ is up to grade when the audience sounds, the clapping , u hear the drum stick hit the skin and it sounds real.. Cheap and giant bang for the buck! Ooh my cables are 3usd Cat6 generic brand each ! All JSSG with the ground cables extended tied back to the  Earth on 1 unused socket on my Furutech distributor! Seems to drain the JSSG shield potential to Earth! 

My system background sound is Very quiet! Note that my 6700k server uses a Corsair RM550x ATX psu Not LPSU.. but I hv JSSG all my cables SSD 5v 24pin to the LPSU (1 for the OS and 1 for the music SSD; ATX, CPU EPS 2x8pin, 2x6pin GPU ( i got earth wires streaming out of my PC case) !! Works for me😁

Messy cheap and good

Okay, I tried the experiment. I only have one router in my system, so I just removed the Internet connection and restarted it. All my devices (Roon Server, HQPlayer Embedded Server and HQPlayer NAA) were recognized and running fine. Roon does indeed work with no internet connection, but obviously Tidal streaming does not. The results: I could not hear a difference, everything sounded as it did before. So, could it be your separate router, switch and no internet combination that is changing what you hear, sure it could? Or maybe its my  SoTM tX-USB Ultra in the chain providing the "cleanup"? Whatever the case may be, I like performing these "what if" trials, especially when you can learn something at no cost.

Steve

YMMV but like I said FOC for Roon users

My system is not High end .. More value buys 

so if u hv a tx ultra maybe it is good enough filtering

Let the system settle down .. play acoustic and live tracks and listen to the  start of a note or a voice .. listen to the inflexion and breathing etc.. 

i hear more all this😁

Listen to live recordings.. hall ambience , echoes.. Hand clapping fr audience.. on a digital sounding system thumus sounds like dry paper being fanned.. i can hear tge fleshiness of palms and the flat of fingers.. real humans clapping

Cannot be worse as NO internet traffic handshake and other stuff except the music streaming file!! A win for me costing a 110 usd 👍😂

Ooh i use my JP Labs Abyss ab-1266 phi cc Headphones with the Danacable Reference 😂7000 Usd there! This HO has pin point stereo imagery , natural mids and deep impactful bass and sweet soaring highs ! I power these with 2x8 watt class A Krell KS 5 HP amps (cost a bundle!) So my system no so Value based after all! That is what I say when my better half sees another piece of kit being delivered😅

My system is an extreme case of earthing .and isolation treated

each cable DC , AC, Data etc all Double shielded a la JSSG.. 2 Ghent audio Gotham type DC cables .. Everything star grounded to one Earth on my Furutech distribution power bar! 

I hv a lot of mumetal and thick copper sheets left over from a tube preamp project.. DAC, Sms200 , all copper shielded😂 PC fans resistor

speed regulated..   Add fans on a separate fan header does the main cooling

Mobo had dual PCie slot power filters.. DDR4 Ram filters fitted

The whole PC i put a custom fitted anti EMF cloth over it with just the fan intakes and outlets exposed PC case acoustically damped. My PC is silent at 3 feet distance

My system playback has a Sound background that is very very quiet!

Man I am OCD!!

25 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

My system is an extreme case of earthing .and isolation treated

each cable DC , AC, Data etc all Double shielded a la JSSG.. 2 Ghent audio Gotham type DC cables .. Everything star grounded to one Earth on my Furutech distribution power bar! 

I hv a lot of mumetal and thick copper sheets left over from a tube preamp project.. DAC, Sms200 , all copper shielded😂 PC fans resistor

speed regulated..   Add fans on a separate fan header does the main cooling

Mobo had dual PCie slot power filters.. DDR4 Ram filters fitted

The whole PC i put a custom fitted anti EMF cloth over it with just the fan intakes and outlets exposed PC case acoustically damped. My PC is silent at 3 feet distance

My system playback has a Sound background that is very very quiet!

Man I am OCD!!

Since you are doing headphones, you could take your system to the next level:

https://www.ebay.com/i/282672957830?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=282672957830&targetid=593772152293&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9009718&poi=&campaignid=1689799129&mkgroupid=66574332395&rlsatarget=pla-593772152293&abcId=1140466&merchantid=6341404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgZvj2tr44wIVBY_ICh1JNw2pEAQYASABEgKNGfD_BwE

😂