IGNORED

Simple low tech tweaks

I went to a buddies house the other day and his system sounded flat to me. It was driving me nuts and even he commented that he was not happy with the sound and wanted to upgrade. I finally got up and just moved his speakers around a bit and man what a difference that made.

Post your simple low tech teaks below.

Sometimes you just need a good ac power cable. No idea how this sounds on anything but the Supra power strip I got for the server closet (another relative bargain at $69) but everything sounds better, it's well made, and came in the length I needed (but not much more), and gets great reviews. Felt a Supra at $125 would have been overkill. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WPMGOY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

All of Herbie's stuff is good imo, but if you want to save some $ then just buy sheets and cut your own. I have grunge busters under all the legs of the (reinforced) Ikea cabinet I use for the hifi, everywhere. I have precut dbNeutralizer rounds under the cheap cones I got for my Rega speaker spikes. Work great. 

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/system-isolation/products/damping-sheet

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation/products/thin-fat-dot?variant=12645163696183

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 6/25/2019 at 1:56 AM, charlesphoto said:

All of Herbie's stuff is good imo, but if you want to save some $ then just buy sheets and cut your own. I have grunge busters under all the legs of the (reinforced) Ikea cabinet I use for the hifi, everywhere. I have precut dbNeutralizer rounds under the cheap cones I got for my Rega speaker spikes. Work great. 

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/system-isolation/products/damping-sheet

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation/products/thin-fat-dot?variant=12645163696183

Very simple tweaks. 

I also did some cable dressing this week and got a good lift. Finally got the DIN cable between my Naim amp and DAC to stop playing the radio! A big problem with Naim here in hilly Seattle populated by radio towers. Overall everything sounding really good. Now to get a few odds and ends sold on ebay and pick up that new Sonore power supply for my microrendu (not a cheap tweak, but not crazy either). 

Shut down your whole house electrically. Make sure every plugged in, and wireless device - yes, that means smartphones! - are turned off, and unplugged. The mains supply to your home is now doing nothing but feeding the rig - that might give you some clues as to where more complex tweaks might benefit, ^_^.

Be sure to assemble your tinfoil hat by daylight though! ;)

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

Shut down your whole house electrically. Make sure every plugged in, and wireless device - yes, that means smartphones! - are turned off, and unplugged. The mains supply to your home is now doing nothing but feeding the rig - that might give you some clues as to where more complex tweaks might benefit, ^_^.

Should I ask the inhabitants of neighboring apartments to do the same?

55 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Yes ... ask politely, ^_^.

Of course it helps to have some, electrical, distance between you and possibly troublesome neighbours - to simplify things :). If you're stuck with 'noisy' next doors, then you might have to try some isolation doodahs - but now, we've stumbled into complex solutions, unfortunately ... better luck next time ...

56 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes ... ask politely, ^_^.

Of course it helps to have some, electrical, distance between you and possibly troublesome neighbours - to simplify things :). If you're stuck with 'noisy' next doors, then you might have to try some isolation doodahs - but now, we've stumbled into complex solutions, unfortunately ... better luck next time ...

It is just happens that our mind/perception registers this or that type of noise *always*... One can not and could not eliminate all possible noises from the "system". What is the way to ignore or tolerate those would be more interesting and rewarding, imho.

13 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

maybe

noise attenuates with distance (as a f(freq.)), and they are further away than your LEDs, Fl lights etc.

11 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

It is just happens that our mind/perception registers this or that type of noise *always*... One can not and could not eliminate all possible noises from the "system". What is the way to ignore or tolerate those would be more interesting and rewarding, imho.

Learn to Live with Johnson Noise

- great song title BTW

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, Ralf11 said:

good to turn off LED & Fl lights tho

also, you can DIY your own diffusers

Even the Air Conditioning as well.  Despite running in quiet mode, and not sounding obvious, it can degrade low level detail.

We found this at a listening session at Audiophile Neuroscience's previous apartment some time back when evaluating some new expensive speakers. He also needed some decent mains filtering at that location too, due to Lifts etc. in the complex.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

16 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

What I find is that interference noise is the absolute worst for the mind to deal with - it just makes longer term listening an endurance test; I can only take short sessions of the type of SQ this causes - the fatigue levels kill it every time ...

So, tolerating this is a non-starter - I work assiduously on attenuating the impact of this, until it becomes subjectively zero. Which is very hard to do, yes. But, with effort it can reduced to a point where what I call convincing sound switches on - and that's a zone of listening that's worth working towards, because you then can listen all day at any volume you desire, with complete mental comfort.

4 hours ago, fas42 said:

What I find is that interference noise is the absolute worst for the mind to deal with - it just makes longer term listening an endurance test; I can only take short sessions of the type of SQ this causes - the fatigue levels kill it every time ...

So, tolerating this is a non-starter - I work assiduously on attenuating the impact of this, until it becomes subjectively zero. Which is very hard to do, yes. But, with effort it can reduced to a point where what I call convincing sound switches on - and that's a zone of listening that's worth working towards, because you then can listen all day at any volume you desire, with complete mental comfort.

Unless you are able to quit your mind completely you will be exposed to this or that kind of noise.

57 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

Unless you are able to quit your mind completely you will be exposed to this or that kind of noise.

Again, it depends on the type of noise ...

Listening to a busker, purely acoustic music, besides a busy road - one type of noise.

Someone using a bad microphone setup, that's keeps on hovering on the edge of acoustic feedback - another type of noise.

Personally, I'll take the first over the second ... :).

5 hours ago, fas42 said:

Again, it depends on the type of noise ...

Listening to a busker, purely acoustic music, besides a busy road - one type of noise.

Someone using a bad microphone setup, that's keeps on hovering on the edge of acoustic feedback - another type of noise.

Personally, I'll take the first over the second ... :).

Most probably we talk about different understanding of the term