IGNORED

Article: Sound Liaison - One Mic Recordings

4 hours ago, HIFI said:

So I’m curious....

I think it is very possible there could be some “judicious “ use of EQ.  I would expect some compression.  Are you reaching when you say “added reverb”?  I just don’t see how you can say that sitting in your chair as you listen unless you were very familiar with SL’s recording studio. Maybe it’s your listening environment issue?

In the article, Frans de Rond is quoted thus:

After recording we add a bit of reverb, little EQ and a tiny bit of compression to smooth things out, but we keep everything to a minimum.

15 minutes ago, esldude said:

Maybe that is another reason older Chesky sounds better to me.  They used a pair of figure 8's or a Soundfield set to figure 8's.  Recorded straight in with no processing.  With binaural they have some process to make it sound alright over speakers.  I don't know what it does, but it certainly isn't mic straight to the recording medium. 

Aren't Chesky using tube gear with all the distortion that brings, or am I confusing them with someone else?

15 minutes ago, esldude said:

I too was disappointed in SL using EQ, reverb and compression.  I'd really like to hear what their $7250 microphone sounds like.  I might could forgive them using EQ, but reverb and compression mean you don't hear where they recorded.  Then again maybe if you could hear both you'd prefer what they did. 

Maybe if someone asked nicely, they'd provide an unprocessed sample.

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, PAP said:

Oh sorry. I think there is a difference on the Witmer trio it is the Josephson C700 while on the One Microphone recordings it is the

Josephson C700S. I guess That means stereo.

The S version simply has an additional capsule to enable stereo pickup. They should otherwise have the same sound signature.