IGNORED

Article: Sound Liaison - One Mic Recordings

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, JoeWhip said:

Couldn't believe some of the comments here. Some people who go extra miles to get the best possible sound and in the process very unlikely to make profit like the big labels. Probably, they would do better with people who really appreciate music and SQ for what it is without prejudice. It amazes me that no whatsoever appreciation for their effort. There is nothing wrong with the recordings and even if it is then as "audiophiles" make them to sound good. 

Sometimes, when we are too familiarized with one type of the sound we tend to miss out on other equally good recordings.

15 minutes ago, esldude said:

Maybe that is another reason older Chesky sounds better to me.  They used a pair of figure 8's or a Soundfield set to figure 8's.  Recorded straight in with no processing.  With binaural they have some process to make it sound alright over speakers.  I don't know what it does, but it certainly isn't mic straight to the recording medium. 

I too was disappointed in SL using EQ, reverb and compression.  I'd really like to hear what their $7250 microphone sounds like.  I might could forgive them using EQ, but reverb and compression mean you don't hear where they recorded.  Then again maybe if you could hear both you'd prefer what they did. 

What do you expect them to do with a MS mic?

There is nothing wrong with Chesky binaural recordings. It is different so maybe for some they are not used to since IMO we have adopted to perceive stereo sound and decode them to be reality. 

But it if you ever get to retrieve the timing and level difference correctly, you will never want to listen to others. The filter is just some attenuation of the HF to eliminate the pinna effect. I wonder why they are NOT making pinnaless dummy head recording which will make the correction unnecessary. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

That mike will put out 3 signals.  If you record them, you can pick any pattern and direction after you are done recording. 

I am no fan of any particular recording type. As long they are good stereo, they are good enough for me. 

Lately, I am more inclined for spot mic orchestra. In fact, for fidelity and recreation of the acoustics event I find it easier to work with spot mic technique which preserves all the micro details of the direct sound. 

In the early 2000s, I was interested in Ambisonics which I got confused with Ambiophonics but abandoned them when I realized non of my genre will ever be in the former format. I doubt it will ever catch up. 

Edit:- In the case of ms mic, you still have the freedom to arbitrarily assign the width which IMO can never be true representation of the acoustics event.