IGNORED

Article: Sound Liaison - One Mic Recordings

On 6/24/2019 at 9:16 PM, miguelito said:

Given the mic is stereo (actually three capsule device) I would expect this to be close to a binaural recording, and indeed the videos sound just like that.

But to my ear these sounds very different, much better on speakers, compared to the Chesky, that´s for sure.

Thanks Joe for taking the time to write such an informative review, highly appreciated. I've been a fan of this label for a long time. Great there is still a few people left in this world who likes good and well played jazz.

What I really like about these recordings besides the superior S.Q. is as Joe writes; 

Finally, the musicians really need to be tight and on their games.

These musicians plays with all they've got and there is no fixing it in the mix. That energy and realness really jumps out of my speakers.

So in other words it is the ''imperfection'' that makes these recordings so fantastic.  

I am very happy that Frans De Rood with his golden ears and years of experience and know how 

add a bit of reverb, little EQ and a tiny bit of compression

That is why all those Sound Liaison  recordings sounds so good.

However, I would find it very interesting if they would release a couple of "pure" tracks for comparing.

• 2 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 11:40 PM, HIFI said:

. I prefer the Sound Liaison recording as for the reason my speakers disappear completely.  

I was was thinking maybe the smaller listening room I am in may have caused the difference in experience.  Then I went to the MA recording you referenced, Sera Una Noche.  It’s a big room recording and I experience, in my listening room, large space sound and invisible speakers. 

Indeed that is how I experience the One Mic recordings as well and to a certain degree also the Witmer Trio, so it is not only the One Mic approach but also the mastering that Frans De Rond does, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 3:23 PM, PAP said:

Witmer Trio seems to be recorded in front of a Stereo pair with additional spot mic's so if they have mainly used the stereo pair that would explain the realness of that recording.; https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/430-witmer-trio-free at the bottom of the page they have the technical info.

spacer.png 

True.

But I still find their older multi mic recordings very good too. Check out ;

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png these are some of their first releases and they do stand the test of time.

So I think we should not underestimate the mastering skills of the head engineer Frans De Rond.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:23 PM, PAP said:

Witmer Trio seems to be recorded in front of a Stereo pair with additional spot mic's so if they have mainly used the stereo pair that would explain the realness of that recording.; https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/430-witmer-trio-free at the bottom of the page they have the technical info.

spacer.png 

Look at the session photos; Witmer Trio Liner notes and session photos.

spacer.png