Melvin

The Jazz Groove - major overhaul

Rate this topic

I'm a fan of this listener-supported Jazz station, which is a service of the Foundation to Advance Jazz, and listen daily. The music is of the laid-back variety, great for early mornings/late nights and I've discovered a lot of beautiful music listening to this station. Among the recent changes to their site are the new Premium and Premium + options, which include flac streaming! All of the new Premium features are free until July 20th if you care to check them out. I'm now a Premium + subscriber.

The Jazz Groove

On 7/4/2019 at 10:49 AM, daverich4 said:

It works in Roon which for me is always a good place to start. 

Tried pasting the URL and it didn't for me. Can you share the URL you used for Roon? Thanks.

SERVER CLOSET:NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule>fiber (HDPLEX 100). Supra MD-06 power strip. {Office Circuit}

LIVING ROOM:Sonore opticalModule (LPS-1)>Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Sonore UltraRendu>Ghent Neotech 7N solid JSSG DC cable) {20amp dedicated circuit) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110 {both dedicated 20amp circuit}>Chord Rumor 2>Rega RX3’s.

OFFICE:TP Link MC110 optical bridge (iFi's - different office circuits)>Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50’ (near field post mounted - sound amazing - one of the few  joys of working from the home basement). Cables: AQ Cinnamon RJ45, Meico RJ45, basic cat6, Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs. 

5 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Oops, I just double checked and you’re right. Sorry.

No need to be sorry!

“Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be One.” – Marcus Aurelius

16 hours ago, austinpop said:

I read about this in Paul McGowan's blog today. I understand they're struggling, but unless they can supply the premium lossless streaming through Roon via URL, it's a tough sell...

Nice to see Paul mentioning them. If one is all-in with Roon I see your point, of course. For Roon-ies using a Sonore Rendu product the Shairport function works exceptionally well and is a potential work-around (Roon supports AirPort, no?).

Good point. AirPlay does work. 

To be clear, this isn't Roon - you just need to have an Airplay server running on the DAC-connected machine (be it standalone music server, or streamer/endpoint), or the DAC itself in some cases, like dCS.

I tried it with Euphony OS, one of whose modes is Airplay Server. I assume other endpoints have similar support.

I was then able to run Jazz Groove on my laptop running MacOS/Chrome, and "cast" the output to the Airplay Server.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:40 AM, austinpop said:

I read about this in Paul McGowan's blog today. I understand they're struggling, but unless they can supply the premium lossless streaming through Roon via URL, it's a tough sell...

I emailed them regarding Roon compatibility as a way to expand their market and they said they would add it to their list of improvements they would consider; however, they have bigger concerns, like long-term viability.  They pay IT folks it appears, so there doesn't seem to be a volunteer that could take up the "cause."  I'm still using the link from a year ago (or so) within Roon internet radio.  Not sure how long that will work.  

Roon / Mola Mola Tambaqui / Kubala-Sosna XLR / Mola Mola Kaluga / KS biwire / B&W 803 D3

maybe they can get some support from NPR

as it is, there is a lot of competition from radio shows on the internet

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound