IGNORED

Outdoor Two Channel audio

Just for fun . . . 

Is is anyone doing HiFi out doors?

I do a little budget system with Definitive Tech speakers and some older power equipment I have had lay around.  I do one sub ... DYI. Stream Mac Mini to Sonus for source material.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

My advice: take good care of the space acoustics! First of all if there are trees there cover their trunks with dispersive/absorbing materials, may look weird at first but the sonic benefit will be unbelievable! Experiment a little with the proportion of dispersive vs absorbing trunks treatments. BTW there's no better speaker stand than the trunk of a cut down old tree. But if you decide to do it I'd suggest not inviting your environmentalist friends to a listening session..

Wells have a tendency to make bass boomy and add lots of reverb or even echo (!) so if you have one in the garden I'd suggest to pump all the water out of it and fill it up with e.g. mineral wool. BTW this procedure makes wells also much safer for the kids so no doubt it absolutely should be done! 

And one more thing - I'd agree with @PeterSt here:

On 6/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, PeterSt said:

avoid swimming pools

They just sound bad! 9_9

I'd have a hundred more advices on the topic so if you are in any doubt - please don't hesitate to ask!  

;)

19 minutes ago, HIFI said:

I think he’s making fun of me😳

Just trying to survive a very hot Sunday here in the Netherlands (no consciousness altering substances involved, I swear) :)

But seriously, I'm sure you will need lots of bass in such circumstances (no room reinforcement) and quite lots of dbs if you want the music to sound relatively loud (for similar reasons).

54 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Just trying to survive a very hot Sunday here in the Netherlands (no consciousness altering substances involved, I swear) :)

But seriously, I'm sure you will need lots of bass in such circumstances (no room reinforcement) and quite lots of dbs if you want the music to sound relatively loud (for similar reasons).

Well... it’s not in the middle of the yard.  Sub is corner loaded close to Two speakers that are mounted against outdoor wall.

it plays louder than it should when I consider my neighbors.  It’s not the first outdoor HiFi I have put together.  I will say one of the MOST IMPORTANT considerations is be sure you find out what kind of music your neighbors like.  That, itself, is the key to dbs 😃

Does the garage count if the door is open?  I have a Edifier S1000DB that I stream (wifi/DLNA) to my phone while connected to the speakers via BT.  They are set up quite high on top of shelves and actual sound quality is so-so but they go quite loud.  Good enough for the garage.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

Does the garage count if the door is open?  I have a Edifier S1000DB that I stream (wifi/DLNA) to my phone while connected to the speakers via BT.  They are set up quite high on top of shelves and actual sound quality is so-so but they go quite loud.  Good enough for the garage.

I’m not the HiFi police. So count it if you like.

My original post was intended to see what others may be doing outside for a HiFi system. I know a no or few boundary listening environment is challenging.  I was also interested in systems that are not just background music but what members here do to stage a listening environment outdoors.