IGNORED

EVGA Nu Audio

3 hours ago, Miska said:

My card has been sitting in the box for two months, waiting for me to have time to do something about it...

I guess this is as far as you can get at the moment. Although you likely get just as good latency figures with something like RME ADI-2.

Why would it need to be same application? You can stream Tidal/Qobuz through Roon+HQPlayer or something else. And Netflix through Netflix application. For TV I would assume HDMI 2, either through normal copper or one of the new optical extenders (for projector).

For similar use case I've been using newest NUC's with HDMI 2.0 connected to 4K TV and then external DAC. Video playback goes through whatever (from files through VLC) and audio playback through HQPlayer. For audio-only playback latency doesn't matter and for video use cases it works fine. If you want, you can also put audio with video through HDMI and then you don't really have sync problems in practice. And YouTube won't give you DSD audio anyway, so that's not an issue.

Challenge is if you want YouTube and DSD upsampling together. That can be done with HQPlayer for example, but then you need something like VLC to deal with latency synchronization between the two.

Yes, thank you. You are correct of course about the multiple programs, I worded it poorly.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

On 9/20/2019 at 5:27 AM, Miska said:

Does WASAPI Exclusive work correctly

Yes.  When Qobuz is set to WASAPI Exclusive, videos with audio on sites like CNN don't play and you get an error message saying 'something went wrong during native playback'.  Note that my Nu Audio card is set as the default audio device because it's the only audio device in my system.  'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device' is enabled in the Advanced tab of Speaker Properties.

However, when I set Qobuz to use ASIO, audio from CNN gets played together with the Qobuz track.  So, what does this mean?  Clearly, ASIO is not getting exclusive control.  So does this mean that ASIO is going through the Windows mixer and I'm not getting bit perfect output unless the source material matches the sample rate and bit depth set in Speaker Properties?  If I am stating this correctly, please confirm and I will relay this message to EVGA support.  If this is true, then I have to conclude that the EVGA ASIO driver isn't working properly.

In Device Manager, the Nu Audio shows up as Device USB\VID_3842&PID_3100\00000030.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, rickca said:

However, when I set Qobuz to use ASIO, audio from CNN gets played together with the Qobuz track.  So, what does this mean?  Clearly, ASIO is not getting exclusive control.  So does this mean that ASIO is going through the Windows mixer and I'm not getting bit perfect output unless the source material matches the sample rate and bit depth set in Speaker Properties?  If I am stating this correctly, please confirm and I will relay this message to EVGA support.  If this is true, then I have to conclude that the EVGA ASIO driver isn't working properly.

Sounds like WASAPI Exclusive is working correctly, but ASIO is having unexpected behavior. ASIO should essentially work the same as WASAPI Exclusive, except that you get things like native DSD support which WASAPI doesn't have.

So I'd say there is something going wrong with the ASIO driver.

Have you tried what happens if you play CNN or something while playing DSD natively through the ASIO driver? That could be used as a suitable case for pointing out wrong behavior.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, lucretius said:

By "48k  DSD", I take it you mean DSD1024? Thanks.

No I mean DSD at multiples for 48 kHz base rate. IOW, 3.072/6.144/12.288 MHz in addition to the usual 44.1 kHz base rates of 2.8224/5.6448/11.2896 MHz.

Unfortunately most DACs on the market today don't support DSD at multiples of 48 kHz base rate, although it is only matter of switching the clock same way as is already done for PCM. So they have gone through some extra effort to not support it!

I understand from the designer that the measured performance (nonlinearity and noise wise) can be improved  by swapping out the AD8056 for another op-amp, such as an OPA1612.

The AD8056 was chosen on the basis of its sound quality, after trying several options.  It’s interesting that it can achieve respectable electrical performance with relatively low open loop gain (71dB vs 130dB plus), hinting at good native linearity.

3 hours ago, the_bat said:

I understand from the designer that the measured performance (nonlinearity and noise wise) can be improved  by swapping out the AD8056 for another op-amp, such as an OPA1612.

The AD8056 was chosen on the basis of its sound quality, after trying several options.  It’s interesting that it can achieve respectable electrical performance with relatively low open loop gain (71dB vs 130dB plus), hinting at good native linearity.

Good that they left easy option for swapping the opamps and documented it. Many motherboard manufacturers do the same for their better motherboards too. If one wants to get (even) better measurement results.

AD8056 is also high speed, maintaining fairly low distortion even at high frequencies, which is important for the first analog filter stages where there's quite a bit of high frequency noise present.

At some point I may try with something, I have a lot of different opamps from my own projects, so no need to even buy anything for that. Just too busy to do it in near future.

1 hour ago, EVGA_Lee said:

I made an account here to let you know that I'll follow up with our Audio team to check into your situation and see what we can do about it.

Thank you so much for joining the AS community and following up on this issue.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 3:23 PM, EVGA_Lee said:

I made an account here to let you know that I'll follow up with our Audio team to check into your situation and see what we can do about it.

Any progress?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 11:19 PM, Rugby said:

It does not work right with Roon playing DSD.  Have contacted evga tech support on the issue for months.  Once DSD is played, Roon will not release the device. 

I don't know if my issues were the same as yours, but this card sounded great- for one night! I was really excited at how good this thing sounded using Roon>HQPlayer 11.2MHz DSD. On the second day the it wouldn't make a peep, and hasn't since despite my efforts. Sadly I think I will have to return it. I simply cannot seem to get the drivers to install after uninstalling them as per instructions. I'll gladly try again if anyone has some suggestions. It seems to fail after preinstall is sufficient. the more window info seems to indicate failure at creating desktop icon or something similar. EVGA_Lee?

Forrest:

1 hour ago, 4est said:

I'll gladly try again if anyone has some suggestions.

Did you reboot after uninstalling?

Are you sure the driver isn't installed?  Even if it didn't create an icon, the driver might be installed.  If running Windows 10, check add/remove programs and see if EVGA Nu Audio Driver 4.66.0 is in the list.  If it is, make sure nothing is muted in the EVGA GUI and that you have the intended playback device (speakers/headphones) selected.

I don't use Roon so I can't help you there.

2 hours ago, rickca said:

Did you reboot after uninstalling?

Are you sure the driver isn't installed?  Even if it didn't create an icon, the driver might be installed.  If running Windows 10, check add/remove programs and see if EVGA Nu Audio Driver 4.66.0 is in the list.  If it is, make sure nothing is muted in the EVGA GUI and that you have the intended playback device (speakers/headphones) selected.

I don't use Roon so I can't help you there.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I rebooted. There are some files for the driver, but the device still isn't recognized and is not available.

Forrest:

On 10/19/2019 at 2:34 PM, 4est said:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I rebooted. There are some files for the driver, but the device still isn't recognized and is not available.

If you don't mind, please send me a PM with what's going on.  I don't mind helping you out here, but I'd rather not try to take the thread too much further off-topic.  If the OP doesn't mind, however, we can work on it here.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:01 PM, 4est said:

On the second day the it wouldn't make a peep, and hasn't since despite my efforts.

When the card crashed on me, I had to do a cold reboot (power off). And since there are quite a lot of capacitors, short power down wasn't enough...

Note you should really power down the computer completely from power switch in the back or pulling the plug. Soft power off from the front panel power button may not be enough. (PSU still provides sleep power)

I just want to emphasize about this if someone else encounters such situation, to avoid unnecessary extra hassle. No need to do anything else.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

When the card crashed on me, I had to do a cold reboot (power off). And since there are quite a lot of capacitors, short power down wasn't enough...

Note you should really power down the computer completely from power switch in the back or pulling the plug. Soft power off from the front panel power button may not be enough. (PSU still provides sleep power)

I just want to emphasize about this if someone else encounters such situation, to avoid unnecessary extra hassle. No need to do anything else.

Thank you Miska, I have done that repeatedly including removing the card between software (un)installs, but you are right to mention that.

Forrest:

5 hours ago, EVGA_Lee said:

If you don't mind, please send me a PM with what's going on.  I don't mind helping you out here, but I'd rather not try to take the thread too much further off-topic.  If the OP doesn't mind, however, we can work on it here.

PM sent, good point and we can post the solution if there is one.

Forrest:

7 hours ago, EVGA_Lee said:

If the OP doesn't mind, however, we can work on it here.

I have no objection to you and @4est working on it here on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, rickca said:

@4est did you ever get this resolved?

Sadly no. I sent it back. I really wish it had worked out, but I was only willing to put so much effort into my AV/background system. I got frustrated in part because my ASRock MB seems to have a faulty RAM slots that would cause havoc when inserting the card. I am past due for an upgrade! Thanks for asking Rick.

Forrest: