Rate this topic

I'm not actually sure they do claim that.  Nothing on their site or the packaging says it's USB Class2 Audio.  A couple of the review sites mention that it's a USB interface over PCIe and then talk about how well established USB Class2 is, which is true but not related, but I don't think EVGA make any claim.  

3 minutes ago, the_bat said:

I'm not actually sure they do claim that.  Nothing on their site or the packaging says it's USB Class2 Audio.  A couple of the review sites mention that it's a USB interface over PCIe and then talk about how well established USB Class2 is, which is true but not related, but I don't think EVGA make any claim.  

The card identifies itself as Audio Class when queried by the OS. Otherwise it wouldn't show up as an ALSA device at all.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:23 PM, mansr said:

What that really means:

Despite the card claiming to be a USB Audio Class device, it actually isn't.

It works perfectly fine in PCM up to 384 kHz in Audiolinux, as an ALSA device, one needs to adjust the ALSA mixer level and this is it. It works as Roon Bridge and as an NAA endpoint. It is shows the playback part and the capture part independently. It does not work in DSD. According to Piero of Audiolinux the card probably need a kernel upgrade for working in DSD as well. 

2 hours ago, ferenc said:

It works perfectly fine in PCM up to 384 kHz in Audiolinux, as an ALSA device, one needs to adjust the ALSA mixer level and this is it. It works as Roon Bridge and as an NAA endpoint. It is shows the playback part and the capture part independently. It does not work in DSD. According to Piero of Audiolinux the card probably need a kernel upgrade for working in DSD as well. 

So the "not supported by Linux" statement was in error. DSD support was added to the kernel back in 2013, but since DACs differ in how they indicate the capability (and how it is activated), new models may require a tweak if they don't follow an already known pattern. Aren't standards wonderful?

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

So the "not supported by Linux" statement was in error. DSD support was added to the kernel back in 2013, but since DACs differ in how they indicate the capability (and how it is activated), new models may require a tweak if they don't follow an already known pattern. Aren't standards wonderful?

Actually EVGA said it is Windows only compatible, which is true, as non of the apps related this card will not run in Linux and its target is the gamer community more than the audiophiles, so EVGA will not take any responsibility to get it work in Linux. However it works somehow in Audiolinux. I am quite sure that Euphony guys did not check it properly if at all. They probably just wanted to get rid of any responsibility to get it work and they may not had 5 minutes to think of it seriously. Piero was kind enough at Audiolinux to help me and going through the setup and settings. 

Hi Ferenc

A couple of questions if I may:

Had you ever upgraded the card's firmware?  I think the original version it arrived with had some limited Linux compatibility, but the update included with the latest drivers seems to have broken that.  It may be possible to downgrade the firmware which may help.

Can you share what you needed to do in AudioLinux to get the card to work?  I tried it in Ubuntu but selecting the card in ALSAmixer crashed with a Protocol Error.

Thanks

Alan

1 hour ago, the_bat said:

Hi Ferenc

A couple of questions if I may:

Had you ever upgraded the card's firmware?  I think the original version it arrived with had some limited Linux compatibility, but the update included with the latest drivers seems to have broken that.  It may be possible to downgrade the firmware which may help.

Can you share what you needed to do in AudioLinux to get the card to work?  I tried it in Ubuntu but selecting the card in ALSAmixer crashed with a Protocol Error.

Thanks

Alan

I did firmware upgrades, using the very latest version of it. 

Actually I had to check the two cards which were shown in the Audio Status menu, and realized that the Card 1 is the playback card and Card 2 is the capture card part of the card. need to increase the audio level up to 100% in Alsa mixer and it worked. It did not work for the first time because I was trying to use the capture card part as a playback device. Piero helped me to realize it. 

Since then I use it not only as NAA or Roon Bridge but as Airplay endpoint as well with my Apple devices . Works very well even as an Airplay device. 

Finally, I was able to free up a PCI slot and thinking of buying this Nu audio card.  I read some good reviews and also some not so good reviews.  I'm mainly interested in as a DSD DAC when used with HQP.  I have a sense this card just may be the best option for DSD/HQP under $500, but let's see..

@Miska have you had a chance to test and/or measure the Nu Audio card?  It's currently on sale for $189 in the USA and I'm wondering whether to pick one up. 

NUC7PJYH/AL --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10/HDPLEX 200W/HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX --> ISO REGEN/LPS-1.2 --> iFi iDSD Micro --> Focal CMS50's