IGNORED

Aqua La Voce S2 or Metrum Jade

I am on the lookout for a new DAC to connect it to my NUC streamer via USB and would like to try NOS ones.

Having done some research I narrowed it down to these two models:

- Aqua La Voce S2

- Metrum Acoustics Jade

I have some offers to buy them as demo units for roughly 1.800€ respectively.

Is there anyone who has heard both of them and can share his impressions?

I know the best way would be to just order them both and compare. But  I don't want to stretch my finances that much.

I should perhaps add a few things:

- I will be mainly listening to 16 bit redbook files (I am not interested in highres as its not widely available yet and I'm enjoying my ripped CDs)

- According to some members at super best audio friends the USB input of the Metrum is quite lame. What's more the company has been sold by the original master mind and now support seems to be mixed at best (YMMV of course)

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/metrum-acoustics-onyx-balanced-dac-and-jade-balanced-dac-pre.5181/page-15

As I'm planning on spending an insane amount of money on a DAC (at least from my point of view) I would like to support a decent company while doing so. That's why Chinese manufacturers are not on my list. I'm not saying they are all the same but I prefer my gear at least to be assembled and designed in a country with proper labour standards. (I'm not naive regarding the origin of many parts inside of them).

So long story short, I am now leaning strongly towards the aqua. Also I read several times that a regen doesn't make a big difference on this one which I regard as a good sign regarding the quality of the USB input.

Are there any other NOS DAC manufacturers still producing in "western" countries that I should consider? (In the same price region as the mentioned products)

A few below, picked from this list, where you also will find manufacturer links and dac info

Abbas Audio (Ukraine)

AKS Audio (Switzerland)

ALEKS Audio (Russia)

Arkhipov's Laboratory (Russia)

Audial (Serbia)

EC Designs (Holland)

Phase Style (Ukraine)

SW1X (UK)

Veridian Utopia (Slovakia)

• 1 month later...

Dear all,

sorry for not replying for so long. I was quite busy professionally and afterwards on a long vacation.

Thanks for your very helpful input so far! There are more NOS DAC manufacturers out there than I thought.

I had the opportunity to buy a used metrum DAC quite cheap. And although I have my doubts about Metrums future support (see SBAF-Link above), I couldn't resist.

The metrum DAC also has the advantage of being smaller and therefore usable on my desktop setup. I am very happy with the unit. This being my first NOS-DAC it took some getting used to in the beginning but now I am enjoying it so much! My old LH-Labs Geekout V2+ Infinity DAC which I really like for the money now sounds harsh and unnatural in comparison although I never considered it being harsh in the past. Voices sound so real!

My only gripe is the USB input which is not on the same level as the coax input (haven't tried the others). A schiit Eitr solved this issue. On the SBAF forum there is a lot of talk about the DAC and everyone there seems to agree that the USB input is not really good.

If I had a bigger budget I would buy the Aqua La Voce DAC and compare and keep the better one. But unfortunately I can't do that.

For those interested in a NOS DAC with a good USB input the Audial S4 MIGHT be an option. I found some positive reviews about the predecessor but not about the unit itself. There is some technical information on the manufacturer's site and it least there it seems that a lot of research went into getting the USB input right and it's galvanically isolated. This is not a recommendation as I haven't heard the unit but just a hint for people looking for a NOS DAC with good USB.

2 minutes ago, Poldi said:

Dear all,

sorry for not replying for so long. I was quite busy professionally and afterwards on a long vacation.

Thanks for your very helpful input so far! There are more NOS DAC manufacturers out there than I thought.

I had the opportunity to buy a used metrum DAC quite cheap. And although I have my doubts about Metrums future support (see SBAF-Link above), I couldn't resist.

The metrum DAC also has the advantage of being smaller and therefore usable on my desktop setup. I am very happy with the unit. This being my first NOS-DAC it took some getting used to in the beginning but now I am enjoying it so much! My old LH-Labs Geekout V2+ Infinity DAC which I really like for the money now sounds harsh and unnatural in comparison although I never considered it being harsh in the past. Voices sound so real!

My only gripe is the USB input which is not on the same level as the coax input (haven't tried the others). A schiit Eitr solved this issue. On the SBAF forum there is a lot of talk about the DAC and everyone there seems to agree that the USB input is not really good.

If I had a bigger budget I would buy the Aqua La Voce DAC and compare and keep the better one. But unfortunately I can't do that.

For those interested in a NOS DAC with a good USB input the Audial S4 MIGHT be an option. I found some positive reviews about the predecessor but not about the unit itself. There is some technical information on the manufacturer's site and it least there it seems that a lot of research went into getting the USB input right and it's galvanically isolated. This is not a recommendation as I haven't heard the unit but just a hint for people looking for a NOS DAC with good USB.

Which DAC did you buy? The Musette? Metrum DACs are excellent, I've owned three, the Adagio, Onyx, and Musette and still have the first and last. 

• 4 months later...

I am using my laptop (with external self-powered HDD) with a Schiit Eitr between the laptop and the DAC. The Eitr is a must as the USB input of the Metrum Jade is very bad (a problem of al Metrums from what I've read). I will try a ISO Regen for further improvement.