IGNORED

Hqplayer: best NAA with best sound quality

On 7/17/2021 at 10:51 PM, ted_b said:

So what is the consensus (or at least the best two or three) NAAs that is compatible with the Holo May at 32fs (i.e Intel USB chip), and available in the US?  I will have a remote headless Win10 HQP server feeding it.  Thx

Up Gateway is available at Mouser. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AAEON-UP/UP-GWS01-A20-1432-A11?qs=XeJtXLiO41RgX%2B9BTRGE%2Bw%3D%3D

Works perfectly with NAA image, PCM 1.5M and DSD512. 8w consumption. 

I've used it for a few months, I've had the May for 4 months and used 1.5M PCM until I updated my HQPe machine to be able to handle DSD256 ASDM7EC. No comparison for me, it bests 32fs PCM easily, but preferences do differ.

Ordered the fitlet2 direct, on Thurs morn July 22 (i.e last Thursday).  It arrived (Denver, CO, USA area) via DHL today.  :)

I'm not nearly ready for it, but that was fast!!

I'm getting excellent NAA performance w/ a modest fanless 2gb ram Intel Atom z8350 w/ bootable USB stick- HQP naa-4112-x64.7z image & iFi iPower. I've got minimal Ubuntu 20.04 OS installed on 32gb SOC hard drive, but running headless for NAA-only operation.

Which brings me to some questions ...

Can the bootable NAA image be installed on the hard drive w/ no OS present (or is HQP OS required)?  If so, would performance be improved over current set-up? (Downside would be more effort to update w/ new images down the road).

I use startup disk creator for bootable USB stick. I'm not sure if Live Ubuntu USB or some other method is utilized to best accomplish this.

Thanks for any input re: guidance, recommendations, or don't bother w/ that.

22 hours ago, brother love said:

Can the bootable NAA image be installed on the hard drive w/ no OS present (or is HQP OS required)?  If so, would performance be improved over current set-up? (Downside would be more effort to update w/ new images down the road).

I use startup disk creator for bootable USB stick. I'm not sure if Live Ubuntu USB or some other method is utilized to best accomplish this.

Thanks for any input re: guidance, recommendations, or don't bother w/ that.

Yes, you can dump the image on eMMC as well, and in most cases it should work. It is all self-contained with partition tables and everything, so it must be written on a raw base device.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks Jussi.  It hit me early this morning that I could clear out the eMMC & just copy the bootable USB HQP folders/ files on to it.  So I used Live USB Ubuntu 20.04 flash drive w/ GParted, reformatted eMMC partitions to Fat32, copied NAA files over, & voila !  Having said that... after A/B comparisons, I can't really tell a difference between the 2. Learned something new though 😁

So I tried to get the Fitlet2, configured with fiber SFP+, to be my NAA.  I am in test mode (haven't brought system to lower level audio room yet; still in office).  I first tried via my Mikrotik CSS610, which hangs off my router.  Wired 50 ft ethernet down to Mikrotik, 50 ft fiber back to my office and to NAA (my HQP server, Roon server and this office desktop is on another switch, a simple Netgear GS108).  Once I found the right combo of SFPs I got a link confirmation via Mikrotik webpage (and lights on NAA SFP port).  But neither my home network nor my HQPlayer desktop could discover it.  After several attempts I assumed it was because they were on separate switches so I connected the NAA (aka fitlet2) to my Netgear office switch via rj45.  Still nothing.  I can see it on the router webpage but neither Windows network nor HQplayer is discovering it.  And the NAA (Jussi's image via USB boot) loads fine via monitor hanging off fitlet2.  Weird.  Any ideas?  I could move this to optical network threads but right now everything is copper.

9 hours ago, TRIODE4 said:

If I was to use HQPlayer for IFI Zen Stream, do I buy the desktop or the embedded version? Does the HQplayer improve the web radio player sound quality in the Zen Stream, or is it not possible to use it for that?

Either version works same way with ZEN Stream. For HQPlayer NAA operation, you turn the selector in ZEN Stream to "NAA" mode and then it is solely that function - HQPlayer endpoint - and nothing else.

What ever you want to play through HQPlayer, you use HQPlayer for playback. There are some ways to play web radios through HQPlayer, depending whether you are on Desktop or Embedded and how you arrange things.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Either version works same way with ZEN Stream. For HQPlayer NAA operation, you turn the selector in ZEN Stream to "NAA" mode and then it is solely that function - HQPlayer endpoint - and nothing else.

What ever you want to play through HQPlayer, you use HQPlayer for playback. There are some ways to play web radios through HQPlayer, depending whether you are on Desktop or Embedded and how you arrange things.

Thank you for your quick response! I'm assuming the desktop version will be more future proof in that it has a wider adaptability in case my system changes. Once I have bought the software it is mine to use on whatever devices I choose?

• 2 weeks later...

hi Jussi
I used the last naa image you created (the 4122 x64)
it boots smoothly but fails to start ....
I am attaching two images

first stop here .....

Schermata 2021-08-24 alle 15.05.37.png

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

and then here

Schermata 2021-08-24 alle 15.05.58.png

sistema:

Server HDPlex (i7-6700-WS2016) HQPlayer con Ramdisk + HQPDcontrol > Macmini (roon core+Qobuz) o HQPlayer Client + Qobuz > HDPlex NAA (celeron G1840T-WS2016) NAD con Ramdisk, o miniPC Fitlet con immagine di Miska > Denafrips Ares2 , SPLvolume2 > Monitor KH+sub

yes, the dac is connected with the usb .....
but the naa does not start .....
and obviously not seen by HQP.

sistema:

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The Alpha 864S is a great little computer. 

isn't it noisy?
i saw a fan .....🙄

sistema:

26 minutes ago, giordy60 said:

yes, the dac is connected with the usb .....
but the naa does not start .....
and obviously not seen by HQP.

What you showed is the NAA start screen.  All looks fine.  Why do you say it didn't start?  Did you restart HQP?

server 2016 and usually with your nad, a network port connected via switch

sistema: