IGNORED

Hqplayer: best NAA with best sound quality

On 6/28/2021 at 10:22 PM, Miska said:

I don't have much information yet. I should soon have one, so hopefully I know more once I have done some testing myself.

Looking forward to hear about your findings!

I would be particularily interested whether or not the promises about WiFi performance hold true or if LAN/Ethernet conncetion would be required for best SQ with NAA on the Zen Stream (this would be my preferred use case: NAA exclusive mode over WiFi).

1 hour ago, copy_of_a said:

Looking forward to hear about your findings!

I would be particularily interested whether or not the promises about WiFi performance hold true or if LAN/Ethernet conncetion would be required for best SQ with NAA on the Zen Stream (this would be my preferred use case: NAA exclusive mode over WiFi).

I am also looking at this Stream but no usb and "over the air" updates so no Gentooplayer OS or NAA OS... 

So far I've tested ZEN Stream in NAA-only mode, on gigabit ethernet to Holo Spring 1 DAC, and 8x PCM and DSD256 rates were plug-and-play. Very quick to get working out of the box, with IPv6.

I will do more testing over time, but so far very straightforward to use. I will do testing at higher rates when I get Spring 3.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I will do more testing over time, but so far very straightforward to use. I will do testing at higher rates when I get Spring 3.

Based on the specs, can this do 1.5M PCM in NAA mode?

So what is the consensus (or at least the best two or three) NAAs that is compatible with the Holo May at 32fs (i.e Intel USB chip), and available in the US?  I will have a remote headless Win10 HQP server feeding it.  Thx

6 hours ago, ted_b said:

So what is the consensus (or at least the best two or three) NAAs that is compatible with the Holo May at 32fs (i.e Intel USB chip), and available in the US?  I will have a remote headless Win10 HQP server feeding it.  Thx

If you need 1.5M on PCM, you need intel based NAA. MeLE Fanless Mini PC on amazon should do the job for you. There are many fanless mini pc on amazon. 

Thanks. I’ll shop them. I have a wonderful @lmitche built Intel NAA now but as I set up my main system it is overkill and will be used as a Roon server into my HQP server. My new NAA needs to have external ps and accept a Jussi NAA image (and be Intel as we’ve said). Thx

12 hours ago, ted_b said:

Fitlet2 with SFP board ... available on Amazon but strongly recommend ordering it direct and letting them put together for you.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:01 PM, Miska said:

No need to login, once it ends up in login it is ready to use.

Windows? In Control Panel -> Network -> Manage interfaces you have all other in "Disabled" state than the one you use?

Looks correct. You could also try booting up HQPlayer OS image instead NAA OS to see if it makes any difference.

Hello @Miska

Thank you so much for taking your time to reply and sorry for the late response. I finally had some free time to give it another shot.

1: Good

2: Yes Windows. All interfaces are off except my lan card.

3: I have tried the 3 NAA images (4112, 412, 4121) but am unsure of what to download to try the OS image. Could you please let me know what and where?

I tried several things today (reboot of Zenith after each change):

- The old image (4112) as my last trials where with the 2 latest images (412 & 4121). No change (except that I don't get any red status messages during boot as I get with the other two images)

- Another computer to run the Windows Desktop app. No change

- Removing the Uptone Etherregen from the network (both PC and Zenith in the same ASUS router). No change

- Plugging both Zenith, PC and Router in to the Uptone Etherregen (Zenith B side, PC and router A side). No change

- Plugging both Zenith, PC and Router in to the Uptone Etherregen (All A side)). No change

- Contacted Innuos to ask for enabling NAA and they have let me know that is possible but not possible to switch between Roon ready and NAA which is an option but not as optimal as just using a USB stick with a image. I will wait a bit before trying this but if nothing else works this will be my last option.

I am out of ideas... Input would be greatly appreciated!

Roon ROCK server (NUC10i7FNH) -> Etherregen (Powered by a Teddy Pardo PSU) -> Innuos Zenith Mk3 running HQPlayer -> Tellurium Ultra Silver -> Holo Audio KTE May DAC -> Tellurium Ultra Black XLR ->STAX SRM-007II -> STAX SR-009.

Audio components all connected to a PS Audio PowerPlant 3 via Tellurium Black.

4 hours ago, dkdali said:

I tried several things today (reboot of Zenith after each change):

- The old image (4112) as my last trials where with the 2 latest images (412 & 4121). No change (except that I don't get any red status messages during boot as I get with the other two images)

I am out of ideas... Input would be greatly appreciated!

Does your NAA device happen to have more than one network interface? When you boot up the image, login as "root" and run "ifconfig", does it show more than "lo" and one ethernet interface?

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

Does your NAA device happen to have more than one network interface? When you boot up the image, login as "root" and run "ifconfig", does it show more than "lo" and one ethernet interface?

Yes, there is both a normal ethernet interface and a streamer interface (HiFi improved..)

They are called eno1 (connected) and enp3s0 (not connected)

Roon ROCK server (NUC10i7FNH) -> Etherregen (Powered by a Teddy Pardo PSU) -> Innuos Zenith Mk3 running HQPlayer -> Tellurium Ultra Silver -> Holo Audio KTE May DAC -> Tellurium Ultra Black XLR ->STAX SRM-007II -> STAX SR-009.

6 minutes ago, dkdali said:

Yes, there is both a normal ethernet interface and a streamer interface (HiFi improved..)

They are called eno1 (connected) and enp3s0 (not connected)

Just tried to connect both Zenith ports to my router.... and it WORKED :-)

I will try some more to see if I can get it to work with only 1 interface so I can use my EtherRegen.

thank you for your help @Miska

5 minutes ago, dkdali said:

Just tried to connect both Zenith ports to my router.... and it WORKED :-)

I will try some more to see if I can get it to work with only 1 interface so I can use my EtherRegen.

thank you for your help @Miska

NAA image expects to have all interfaces configured before it proceeds with the boot. While HQPlayer OS behaves differently.

In this case you shouldn't connect more than one port to your router. Instead you should use HQPlayer OS image for NAA functionality.

And if you use something EtherRegen, do not use any 100 Mbps ports. It will make performance suffer big time.

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

NAA image expects to have all interfaces configured before it proceeds with the boot. While HQPlayer OS behaves differently.

In this case you shouldn't connect more than one port to your router. Instead you should use HQPlayer OS image for NAA functionality.

And if you use something EtherRegen, do not use any 100 Mbps ports. It will make performance suffer big time.

That explains the dropouts... Guess I have a EtherRegen for sale ;-)

Where do I find the OS images? Is it the buster, fc25 etc?

Which one should I use?

29 minutes ago, dkdali said:

Where do I find the OS images? Is it the buster, fc25 etc?

Which one should I use?

Same way under "images" folder as for NAA OS images too.

You can disable HQPlayer side by logging in as "root" and running "systemctl disable hqplayerd ; systemctl stop hqplayerd". That will disable it from bootup sequence and stop the already running instance. This way only NAA functionality is left running.

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

Same way under "images" folder as for NAA OS images too.

You can disable HQPlayer side by logging in as "root" and running "systemctl disable hqplayerd ; systemctl stop hqplayerd". That will disable it from bootup sequence and stop the already running instance. This way only NAA functionality is left running.

Sorry for being a bit slow

Is it in "Index of /bins/hqplayerd/images/" ?

And should I use "hqplayer-embedded-4.24.2-x64.7z" ?

32 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, exactly!

SUCCESS x3 x-D

1: Can boot the Zenith with the OS image only connected to 1 Ethernet port

2: Surprisingly the Zenith can do the 1536kHz up-sampling and filtering (sinc-Mx, LNS15) without the need of a desktop PC

3: Since the Zenith only receives the Roon stream I can still use my EtherRegen

Result: Super happy new paying HQPlayer customer B|

This guy looks pretty awesome and the price is right

https://shop.zimaboard.com/collections/diyyourrouter/products/zimaboard-single-board-server-for-creators-8g-32gb-linux-windows-openwrt-pfsense-andorid-libreelec-development-board-low-cost-hackable-single-board-server

PCle: 1x PCle 2.0 4x

That means we could even add one of those USB cards from Core Audio / JCAT / MATRIX Audio / Pink Faun / SOtM etc.

On 7/18/2021 at 1:56 PM, jabbr said:

Fitlet2 with SFP board ... available on Amazon but strongly recommend ordering it direct and letting them put together for you.

Strongly considering picking one of these up - have it configured "built to order" and in my cart. Cheaper than the Zen Stream and I can give it 13.3V of battery power out of my Ian Canada LifePO4 PSU, and I could ditch my fiber converter box in my room for this.

But - and I realize this is a bit of a dodgy question - I shouldn't go into this with any expectation that it's going to sound "better" than my current battery-powered Pi4, correct? I currently run it with the HQP NAA image, USB out direct to my DAC and it sounds excellent, to my ears. Just trying to keep expectations inline here;

Zen Stream seems attractive but if it tops out at 384, for Holo and DF DACs that can accept up to 1.5 - not sure it's "the one" for those setups.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> Pi4 HPQ NAA

Denafrips Venus II DAC, Schiit Freya+ Preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dyn Confidence C2 Platinum speakers, dedicated and treated room

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

10 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The fitlet2 allows fiberoptic ethernet input. Is that better? Not in every circumstance.

Good point. I would love to see if some SFP / SFP+ modules are noisy, thus causing more noise after the fiber connection (toward the audio device) than would exist without the fiber. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

12 minutes ago, jabbr said:

If your box is working and sounding great there is a lot to be said for just enjoying the music.

The fitlet2 allows fiberoptic ethernet input. Is that better? Not in every circumstance.

If you want fiberoptic ethernet input at full 1Gbs its one of only a small number of options (I also have the clearfog). If you want an Intel USB output in a small form factor, its the only option I know (of course you can build a Celeron or Atom micro-ATX etc and use a fiberoptic NIC).

I think I'm going to give it a shot. It will simplify the setup a little and even if all else is equal, I like less clutter and stuff to break. And I am using a fiber optic line into my room with converters on either side. 

I've wanted to get one of those UpBoards for awhile, but this seems like it's even one better in some ways. 

Interesting point on the fiber ethernet - I'm not sure I heard a difference either way with my current setup how it's run, but I do like that it serves as a bit of a surge break into the room, if nothing else.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> Pi4 HPQ NAA

Denafrips Venus II DAC, Schiit Freya+ Preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dyn Confidence C2 Platinum speakers, dedicated and treated room

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage