IGNORED

Hqplayer: best NAA with best sound quality

Hallo Jussy, I do need some advice.

I am again trying to use HQ player 4.0 (Mac mini 2020 intel 6 core)  and NAA (Mac Mini / Yosemite running your latest NAA-software)  with my Auralic Vega G2.1  / Apparently capable of doing PCM 384 /32 its and up to DSD 512.

1) Is it correct that HQ-player downsizes PCM 384  / 32 bits to 16 bits during PCM playback?

Please see attached picture? Upsampel Redbook by means of PGGM. 

2) Besides that I am not able to select any DSD playback by means above hard ware configuration  with DoP or native . Also Direct SDM isn't possible via the USB connection. It immediately turns back to PCM

What I am doing wrong. Ps.  are there more users of Auralic VEGA DAC's with same usb- issues?

Best regards,

1909415429_Schermafbeelding2021-05-06om17_27_41.thumb.png.3ed7a9b7824b9bb902e998912eb85bdc.png Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

6 hours ago, ambre said:

1) Is it correct that HQ-player downsizes PCM 384  / 32 bits to 16 bits during PCM playback?

Please see attached picture? Upsampel Redbook by means of PGGM. 

No, unless you set DAC Bits to 16 or less in HQPlayer setttings.

6 hours ago, ambre said:

2) Besides that I am not able to select any DSD playback by means above hard ware configuration  with DoP or native . Also Direct SDM isn't possible via the USB connection. It immediately turns back to PCM

Any other application like Roon active and having the same audio device configured as output device?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

50 minutes ago, Miska said:

A) No, unless you set DAC Bits to 16 or less in HQPlayer setttings.

B) Any other application like Roon active and having the same audio device configured as output device?

A) no default setting.Also tried 32 bits but no result.

B) will check  Core setting again  …,but don’t use Roon or other playback software from Hq 4 player Mac!

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

16 minutes ago, ambre said:

A) no default setting.Also tried 32 bits but no result.

B) will check  Core setting again  …,but don’t use Roon or other playback software from Hq 4 player Mac!

Sounds like the driver is doing something funny. What does macOS Audio/MIDI Settings say? Please also check that the DAC is not selected as a default audio device for macOS.

3 hours ago, mrkoven said:

s there any NAA capable of PCM 1.536 ?

Yes, I built my own. I use an Intel i5-9400T processor, micro ATX motherboard and HDPlex chassis. I run the bootable embedded image as the NAA software. It communicates well with my Holo May DAC, running PCM 1.536 or DSD1024.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:58 PM, Miska said:

Sounds like the driver is doing something funny. What does macOS Audio/MIDI Settings say? Please also check that the DAC is not selected as a default audio device for macOS.

Dear Jussy, 

Re-installed Big Sur on Main Mac mini and on Mac mini NAA Mojave instead of Yosemite. Due to fact that HQP 4.0 doesn't run on Yosemite*.

When playing directly HQP from Mac mini NAA*  to Auralic Vega G2.1. Every thing runs well and can play SDM too.

The only remark is that 352 mhz 32 bits lie is converted to 24 bits.

When running HQP4 on Mac mini Intel I7 (6 cores) the NAA software (version 4.11 and 4.12)  only playing 352 mhz or lower instead 32 bits converted to 16 bits.

Besides that I cannot play SDM with or without DoP. As soon as I select SDM it plays PCM?

Ps. The NAA always opens with 24 bits  and with following remark" Socket failure, falling back to IPv4-only!" 

And /Applications/networkaudiod] (1056): output: 352800/32/2 [/Applications/networkaudiod] (1056): CoreAudio output found suitable stream: 47[/Applications/networkaudiod] (1056): CoreAudio output number of wanted streams: 1

And later on 

Applications/networkaudiod] (1086): CoreAudio output virtual format: 352800/16/2 [ SignedInteger NonMixable ]

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (1086): CoreAudio output using non-mixable mode

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (1086): CoreAudio output physical format: 352800/16/2 [ SignedInteger NonMixable ]

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (1086): CoreAudio output engine started at: 352800 (352800)

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (1086): CoreAudio output allocate buffers of size 512

I suppose when I direct connect Main PC that it will also run flawlessly in combination with Auralic Vega G2.1 as teh Mac mini much slower machine already does.

What is going on with the NAA-software?

Attached . text file NAA and 2 screen pics/

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-10 om 14.33.01.jpg

VOORBEELD 1.jpg

Voorbeeld 2Schermafbeelding 2021-05-10 om 14.34.41.jpg

Terminal NAA .txt

Hallo Jussy,

The main Mac mini and NAA Mac mini do play PCM and SDM when direct connected to Auralic Vega G2.1. no problems. The only observation that PCM 352 32 bits is played as 24 bits in direct usb connection.

When I use the NAA setup in both ways. I have tried to also Main Main Mac mini in NAA mode too.

Bit I am only able to play PCM with 16 bits and with restricted filter settings.With other words not all filters and dither options gave sound. And I saw a new message Limited/ Apod/ 0/1 etc.

Ps. I have done a clean install with Big Sur in Mac mini I7 Intel 6 Core. To assure that my  initial settings were correct.

Attached pictures shows NAA running Mojave and playing SDM and PCM as requested but only 24 bits.

I suspect that present NAA software is not functioning properly anymore?

Always same messages like 

/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): CoreAudio output device bits: 24

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): CoreAudio output engine initialized

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): start 384000/16/2 [pcm]

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): CoreAudio output set channels: 2 (2)

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): CoreAudio output set sampling rate: 384000

and 

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): create coreaudio engine

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): Network interfaces:

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): if[en0] ipv4=10.0.1.49 ipv6=fe80::cbf:341a:98f5:35e8%en0 idx=5

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): if[en1] ipv4=10.0.1.50 ipv6=fe80::185f:de11:fe25:c176%en1 idx=6

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): if[lo0] ipv4=127.0.0.1 ipv6=::1 idx=1

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): listen discovery on en0

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): clSocket::SetOption(): setsockopt(..., 41,12, ...): Can't assign requested address

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): Socket failure, falling back to IPv4-only!

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): listen discovery on 0.0.0.0

I am tired of all tests🥵

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-11 om 17.12.35.png

On 5/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, ambre said:

Hallo Jussy,

The main Mac mini and NAA Mac mini do play PCM and SDM when direct connected to Auralic Vega G2.1. no problems. The only observation that PCM 352 32 bits is played as 24 bits in direct usb connection.

When I use the NAA setup in both ways. I have tried to also Main Main Mac mini in NAA mode too.

Bit I am only able to play PCM with 16 bits and with restricted filter settings.With other words not all filters and dither options gave sound. And I saw a new message Limited/ Apod/ 0/1 etc.

Ps. I have done a clean install with Big Sur in Mac mini I7 Intel 6 Core. To assure that my  initial settings were correct.

Attached pictures shows NAA running Mojave and playing SDM and PCM as requested but only 24 bits.

I suspect that present NAA software is not functioning properly anymore?

Always same messages like 

/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): CoreAudio output device bits: 24

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): CoreAudio output engine initialized

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): start 384000/16/2 [pcm]

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): CoreAudio output set channels: 2 (2)

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (437): CoreAudio output set sampling rate: 384000

and 

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): create coreaudio engine

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): Network interfaces:

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): if[en0] ipv4=10.0.1.49 ipv6=fe80::cbf:341a:98f5:35e8%en0 idx=5

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): if[en1] ipv4=10.0.1.50 ipv6=fe80::185f:de11:fe25:c176%en1 idx=6

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): if[lo0] ipv4=127.0.0.1 ipv6=::1 idx=1

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): listen discovery on en0

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): clSocket::SetOption(): setsockopt(..., 41,12, ...): Can't assign requested address

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): Socket failure, falling back to IPv4-only!

[/Applications/networkaudiod] (468): listen discovery on 0.0.0.0

I am tired of all tests🥵

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-11 om 17.12.35.png

How does your Audio&MIDI Settings look like? You are running networkaudiod through "sudo"?

53 minutes ago, Miska said:

How does your Audio&MIDI Settings look like? You are running networkaudiod through "sudo"?

Dear Jussy,

1) As normal with direct USB connection. I don't have problems with direct connection only strange that I only can upsample it to 24 bits PCM (with PGGB source at 32 bits).

I tried to change this in HQ-player settings to up 32 bits but... I didn't have any effect.

I do have real problems when I using a Mac mini with your distro.  I cannot only Use PCM at 16 bits and cannot switch to DSD. As posted earlier in NAA thread and PGGB thread too.

I have ask today in forum Auralic more or less same question and found earlier something interesting about USB behavior of Auralic Vega G1 and in my case Vega G2.1 ( see attached a copy of mu questions). Mr. Xuanqian Wang owner Auralic.

" VEGA G1 and G2 works as a digital recorder, it is fundamentally different from other DAC.

If the USB host switch sampling rate too fast then it may cause problem to our device. Normal procedure of USB palyback is

1, USB host send command to USB DAC, we call this step open device

2, USB host set sampling rate command to USB DAC

3, USB host music send data to USB DAC

There must be a friction of delay between step 2 and 3, so the USB DAC can react, otherwise there will be a problem. In our ARIES streamer, we have built-in delay about 200ms and it is about enough for VEGA G1/G2.

2) Not  SUDO I access my Mac mini headless via MacOs and start manually (by mouse click) the network audio NAA.

Best regards, Andreas

Issues with USB HQ-Player Direct USB and via NAA.pdf

10 minutes ago, ambre said:

1) As normal with direct USB connection. I don't have problems with direct connection only strange that I only can upsample it to 24 bits PCM (with PGGB source at 32 bits).

Can you provide screenshot of your Audio&MIDI Settings?

I tried to change this in HQ-player settings to up 32 bits but... I didn't have any effect.

You cannot force HQPlayer use more bits for the output than the output device supports.

I have ask today in forum Auralic more or less same question and found earlier something interesting about USB behavior of Auralic Vega G1 and in my case Vega G2.1 ( see attached a copy of mu questions). Mr. Xuanqian Wang owner Auralic.

" VEGA G1 and G2 works as a digital recorder, it is fundamentally different from other DAC.

If the USB host switch sampling rate too fast then it may cause problem to our device. Normal procedure of USB palyback is

1, USB host send command to USB DAC, we call this step open device

2, USB host set sampling rate command to USB DAC

3, USB host music send data to USB DAC

There must be a friction of delay between step 2 and 3, so the USB DAC can react, otherwise there will be a problem. In our ARIES streamer, we have built-in delay about 200ms and it is about enough for VEGA G1/G2.

This is something that would need OS driver modification specific to the Auralic device.

14 minutes ago, ambre said:

2) Not  SUDO I access my Mac mini headless via MacOs and start manually (by mouse click) the network audio NAA.

You need to start through sudo using terminal, not with mouse click...

1 minute ago, Miska said:

YES willDO

You cannot force HQPlayer use more bits for the output than the output device supports.

Device Auralic Vega G2.1 support 32 bits 😘

This is something that would need OS driver modification specific to the Auralic device.

OK ???

HOW TO DO THAT ??

Just now, ambre said:

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

YES willDO

Device Auralic Vega G2.1 support 32 bits 😘

OK ???

HOW TO DO THAT ??

7 minutes ago, ambre said:

HOW TO DO THAT ??

I always started network audio as program485339288_Schermafbeelding2021-05-18om19_21_29.thumb.png.d3b216b4b29b7633e4d9c15ef75d53bb.png

And it starts476075180_Schermafbeelding2021-05-18om19_21_56.thumb.png.026e18237527a65309187a3748cb518c.png

18 hours ago, Miska said:

You need to start it in terminal with "sudo networkaudiod" (depending where you are, you may need to prefix path to the networkaudiod binary).

Hello Jussy,

It's asking for a password. My system_password isn't accepted for this instance? 

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-19 om 14.46.45.png

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-19 om 14.46.26.png

18 hours ago, ambre said:

Hello Jussy,

It's asking for a password. My system_password isn't accepted for this instance? 

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-19 om 14.46.45.png

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-19 om 14.46.26.png

Hello Jussy, which password is needed for networkaudiod ?

11 hours ago, ambre said:

Hello Jussy, which password is needed for networkaudiod ?

Hello Jussy,

Just found out that I do need give a return key. 🤬Password problem solved ... but now

sudo: networkaudiod: command not found

andreas@Mac-mini-van-andreas-2 ~ % sudo networkaudiod

sudo: networkaudiod: command not found

Sorry I am a layman concerning terminal. Put the networkaudiod in download and programs but still no recognizing resp. starting. Please some help.

Also confused that I cannot start the program with double mouse click. In las case it starts immediately. What is the benefit starting with sudo?

1 hour ago, ambre said:

Sorry I am a layman concerning terminal. Put the networkaudiod in download and programs but still no recognizing resp. starting. Please some help.

You need to provide a path to the binary, if you have it under Downloads folder, you it is "~/Downloads/networkaudiod"

Alternatively you can place it under /usr/local/bin in which case it may be found by the default search path.

1 hour ago, ambre said:

Also confused that I cannot start the program with double mouse click. In las case it starts immediately. What is the benefit starting with sudo?

It is not an ordinary application, it is a console/terminal application just like "sudo" and may other standard Unix ocmmand line utilities in macOS. Without "sudo" it doesn't have all the necessary permissions, and since it doesn't have any graphical user interface it cannot ask for permissions through system popup dialogs.

14 hours ago, Miska said:

You need to provide a path to the binary, if you have it under Downloads folder, you it is "~/Downloads/networkaudiod"

Alternatively you can place it under /usr/local/bin in which case it may be found by the default search path.

It is not an ordinary application, it is a console/terminal application just like "sudo" and may other standard Unix ocmmand line utilities in macOS. Without "sudo" it doesn't have all the necessary permissions, and since it doesn't have any graphical user interface it cannot ask for permissions through system popup dialogs.

Hi Jussy, 

Sorry to bother you. But I am not succeeding in accessing networkaudiod by means of the instruction you have sent.

I am using Big Sur latest version on my main Mac mini and NAA Mac mini ( proposed) 

Last login: Fri May 21 12:06:47 on ttys000

andreasbrekeling@Mac-mini-van-Andreas-I7 ~ % sudo /Downloads/networkaudiod

Password:

sudo: /Downloads/networkaudiod: command not found

andreasbrekeling@Mac-mini-van-Andreas-I7 ~ %

Also I cannot find on my system under /usr/local/bin in which case it may be found by the default search path?

Regards, Andreas

3 hours ago, ambre said:

Hi Jussy, 

Sorry to bother you. But I am not succeeding in accessing networkaudiod by means of the instruction you have sent.

I am using Big Sur latest version on my main Mac mini and NAA Mac mini ( proposed) 

Last login: Fri May 21 12:06:47 on ttys000

andreasbrekeling@Mac-mini-van-Andreas-I7 ~ % sudo /Downloads/networkaudiod

It should be "~/Downloads/networkaudiod"

You have "~" missing which refers your your home directory.

This is why the NAA OS exists. NAA is intended to be running on a custom minimal OS that doesn't have any graphical user interface or anything else than what is absolutely needed to boot up and run the minimal "networkaudiod" service.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

It should be "~/Downloads/networkaudiod

Hi Jussy, Pufff.. succeeded by means of dragging complete adres.

andreas@Mac-mini-van-andreas-2 ~ % sudo /Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod

It starts in terminal screen.

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): networkaudiod Copyright (C) 2011-2021 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.

/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): create coreaudio engine

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): Network interfaces:

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495):  if[en0] ipv4=10.0.1.49 ipv6=fe80::cca:1b91:1a70:a312%en0 idx=4

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495):  if[lo0] ipv4=127.0.0.1 ipv6=::1 idx=1

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): listen discovery on en0

/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): clSocket::SetOption(): setsockopt(..., 41,12, ...): Can't assign requested address

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): Socket failure, falling back to IPv4-only!

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): listen discovery on 0.0.0.0

/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output device: VEGA G2 USB Audio 2.0  (60) - AURALiC   

Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output device bits: 24

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output engine initialized

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): start 352800/16/2 [pcm]

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output set channels: 2 (2)

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output set sampling rate: 352800 (352800)

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): enter streaming mode

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output engine starting...

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output using integer mode

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output virtual format: 352800/16/2 [ SignedInteger NonMixable ]

1534596935_Schermafbeelding2021-05-21om15_19_12.thumb.png.b2536de70d3c6b01e02650b5ee92dd37.png1166449718_Schermafbeelding2021-05-21om15_33_01.thumb.png.93a22c2af5d4e332ddca9e6147158051.png

Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output using non-mixable mode

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output physical format: 352800/16/2 [ SignedInteger NonMixable ]

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output engine started at: 352800 (352800)

[/Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod] (495): CoreAudio output allocate buffers of size 512

It runs than 16 bits as earlier  told/ posted?

But I cannot switch to DoP and SDM on my DAC. Initial SDM recognizing is ok ... but will not play at all. Or even tried no DoP etc.  Do some other tests too and hopefully Auralic responds om my E-mail?

1010248756_Schermafbeelding2021-05-21om16_18_52.thumb.png.5335132ac3482051908fb7d220b8b0a6.png

3 minutes ago, ambre said:

Hi Jussy, Pufff.. succeeded by means of dragging complete adres.

andreas@Mac-mini-van-andreas-2 ~ % sudo /Users/andreas/Downloads/networkaudiod-x64-412-3/networkaudiod

I

Direct USB playing from my NAA ( evaluation copy) gives 24 bits PCM.

715765691_Schermafbeelding2021-05-21om16_31_31.thumb.png.fa1a06a23b41ecad934d1cde9d2dae68.png

But SDM start to playing but has continuous plops/ tics ?

1 hour ago, ambre said:

But SDM start to playing but has continuous plops/ tics ?

Have you tried the following settings:

SDM Pack: none

48k DSD: unchecked (your DAC can't handle 48k-based DSD per the documentation: DSD512(22.57892MHz - 44.1k-based rate))

Bit rate (/limit): 44.1k x 512 (max, might want to start with 44.1 x 128 to see if you get sound)

Adaptive Output Rate: grey box

Also, what modulator are you using? Can you monitor the CPU usage on your server to see what it is doing?