IGNORED

Hqplayer: best NAA with best sound quality

I have read a few comments in different forum  posts about using a Innuos server as a NAA device. I cant find the original post anymore but i think it was @baconbrainwho wrote he really enjoyed that solution. I have a Zenith mk3 I really like and would love to upgrade to a premium NAA device😎👍

Is it running on one of @Miska’s hqp/linux images from a USB drive?

Can one of you please let me know how to do this?

Roon ROCK server (NUC10i7FNH) -> Etherregen (Powered by a Teddy Pardo PSU) -> Innuos Zenith Mk3 running HQPlayer -> Tellurium Ultra Silver -> Holo Audio KTE May DAC -> Tellurium Ultra Black XLR -> KGSSHV Carbon -> STAX SR-009.

Audio components all connected to a PS Audio PowerPlant 3 via Tellurium Black.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:14 PM, baconbrain said:

@dkdali You can do this a couple of different ways depending on how your signal chain is setup. If you want to use the mk3 as a device solely running hqplayer, then booting from a usb memory card loaded with the hqp image is the easiest way to go. You will need to change the boot priority on the mk3 to do this, but it is pretty straightforward when you connect a monitor & keyboard directly to the mk3 and then change the boot order in bios. The second alternative is to run the mk3 as a roon core, or endpoint,  and ask Innuos Support to add the NAA demon to the linux image on the mk3. This also works very well if you already have hqplayer running on a seperate pc, but does have the limitation that you will not be able to update the Innuos OS on the mk3 without it overwriting the manually added NAA Demon. BB

Thank you @baconbrainfor the details😎👍

I was not aware you could attach a monitor or keyboard to the Zenith. I will be trying to use the Zenith as a NAA with music from my ROCK/Roon server processed on my PC.

If this works as expected i will be looking in to building a DSD capable PC. Next gen AMD will have AVX-512 so hopefully the 5900/5950 replacement will be capable of best quality dsd512....

BTW NAA should be a standard option on any Innuos device!

Roon ROCK server (NUC10i7FNH) -> Etherregen (Powered by a Teddy Pardo PSU) -> Innuos Zenith Mk3 running HQPlayer -> Tellurium Ultra Silver -> Holo Audio KTE May DAC -> Tellurium Ultra Black XLR -> KGSSHV Carbon -> STAX SR-009.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to setting up a PC to run HQPlayer.

Running the Windows Desktop app and can get it to work with my local WASAPI USB device for testing:HQP1.thumb.JPG.433046e608361f86491951985e973f68.JPG

Got ROON to link up so I can use that as control SW.

So far so good...

Now to turn my Innuos Zenith in to a NAA:

I changed the boot priority on the Zenith and got it to boot both naa-412-x64.7z and naa-4121-x64.7z (Tried 4121 first and when I couldn't get it to work I tried 412)

After boot I can see my MAY dac linking (shows DSD512X in the display) and I can ping it from my desktop.

But I cant seem to figure out how to stream to it...

When I select NetworkAudioAdaptor in settings I don't have an option to type or select anything in the Device field:HQP2.JPG.9af4559f4c41d5aa98441bd00578da3e.JPG

I have a feeling I am doing something wrong and I should configure the NAA first. Just not sure how...

I have tried to google for a guide (for dummies...) but haven't found a guide describing the setup of a NAA.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

On 6/14/2021 at 10:28 PM, Miska said:

Please check that your HQPlayer computer doesn't have more than one network interface active.

I have turned off all other network interfaces on my HQPlayer PC where I do the processing.

I have 2 (only 1 connected) on the NAA (Innuos Zenith) and there doesn't seem to be any option to turn it off in the bios.

I can ping the NAA but I cant access it (ip:8088) or find it in the player.

21 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer Embedded listens on port 8088, NAA doesn't have any web interface.

Is the DAC up and running with correct input selected?

Things appear on the device listing only when NAA is found and also DAC(s) behind it. If the DAC(s) are not accessible, then nothing is shown for that NAA at all.

Yes, May dac is on the right input and shows dsd512x in the display (shows 44khz when there isnt a link)

21 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, so NAA hooks to the DAC just fine. But there's some networking problem why HQPlayer doesn't discover the NAA. Either the multicast message doesn't find there, or the unicast response doesn't get back.

Both the Zenith and the HQPlayer PC is hooked up to the same ASUS GT-AX11000 router configured as a AiMesh Node to a ASUS RT-AX92U which is the main AiMesh router. Both have the latest firmwares. To not have to many unknowns I have removed my EtherRegen from the chain.

Here is what I do:

1: Power on DAC and amp

2: Boot Zenith with naa-4121-x64.img or naa-412-x64.img made using win32diskimager-1.0.0-install.exe or rufus-3.14.exe on a Win10 PC

I let it run until the login screen (do I need to login?). While booting I get a wall of text and a lot of green "icons". But I also get two red "icons". To fast for me to see what it is though.

3: Boot HQPlayer PC with Firewall off and only the needed cabled network adaptor active (Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V).

At this point I can ping the Zenith from my HQPlayer PC.

4: Start HQPlayer - select NetworkAudioAdapter and hope to see a device (so far no luck... Roon can find HQPlayer but wont start playback). I saw in @GoldenOne settings he had Null Output so I tried that too without luck (though Roon will play music and show up in HQPlayer but no sound)

Am I doing anything wrong?

@baconbrain how do you get your Innuos device to be found by HQPlayer?

Just tried to move my HQPlayer PC closer to my May so I could connect it directly and it works beautifully at 1.536M PCM and 256xDSD! So the player side looks to work as intended.

It actually sounds better directly from my PC with HQPlayer than from the Zenith with Roon....

This unfortunately isnt a permanent solution as the WAF kills the idea of a PC in the living room... So I need to get the Zenith to work as a NAA (please see my message above)

image.thumb.png.8b8f97cf5628e276041dd367992a698e.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 11:01 PM, Miska said:

No need to login, once it ends up in login it is ready to use.

Windows? In Control Panel -> Network -> Manage interfaces you have all other in "Disabled" state than the one you use?

Looks correct. You could also try booting up HQPlayer OS image instead NAA OS to see if it makes any difference.

Hello @Miska

Thank you so much for taking your time to reply and sorry for the late response. I finally had some free time to give it another shot.

1: Good

2: Yes Windows. All interfaces are off except my lan card.

3: I have tried the 3 NAA images (4112, 412, 4121) but am unsure of what to download to try the OS image. Could you please let me know what and where?

I tried several things today (reboot of Zenith after each change):

- The old image (4112) as my last trials where with the 2 latest images (412 & 4121). No change (except that I don't get any red status messages during boot as I get with the other two images)

- Another computer to run the Windows Desktop app. No change

- Removing the Uptone Etherregen from the network (both PC and Zenith in the same ASUS router). No change

- Plugging both Zenith, PC and Router in to the Uptone Etherregen (Zenith B side, PC and router A side). No change

- Plugging both Zenith, PC and Router in to the Uptone Etherregen (All A side)). No change

- Contacted Innuos to ask for enabling NAA and they have let me know that is possible but not possible to switch between Roon ready and NAA which is an option but not as optimal as just using a USB stick with a image. I will wait a bit before trying this but if nothing else works this will be my last option.

I am out of ideas... Input would be greatly appreciated!

8 minutes ago, Miska said:

Does your NAA device happen to have more than one network interface? When you boot up the image, login as "root" and run "ifconfig", does it show more than "lo" and one ethernet interface?

Yes, there is both a normal ethernet interface and a streamer interface (HiFi improved..)

They are called eno1 (connected) and enp3s0 (not connected)

6 minutes ago, dkdali said:

Yes, there is both a normal ethernet interface and a streamer interface (HiFi improved..)

They are called eno1 (connected) and enp3s0 (not connected)

Just tried to connect both Zenith ports to my router.... and it WORKED :-)

I will try some more to see if I can get it to work with only 1 interface so I can use my EtherRegen.

thank you for your help @Miska

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

NAA image expects to have all interfaces configured before it proceeds with the boot. While HQPlayer OS behaves differently.

In this case you shouldn't connect more than one port to your router. Instead you should use HQPlayer OS image for NAA functionality.

And if you use something EtherRegen, do not use any 100 Mbps ports. It will make performance suffer big time.

That explains the dropouts... Guess I have a EtherRegen for sale ;-)

Where do I find the OS images? Is it the buster, fc25 etc?

Which one should I use?

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

Same way under "images" folder as for NAA OS images too.

You can disable HQPlayer side by logging in as "root" and running "systemctl disable hqplayerd ; systemctl stop hqplayerd". That will disable it from bootup sequence and stop the already running instance. This way only NAA functionality is left running.

Sorry for being a bit slow

Is it in "Index of /bins/hqplayerd/images/" ?

And should I use "hqplayer-embedded-4.24.2-x64.7z" ?

32 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, exactly!

SUCCESS x3 x-D

1: Can boot the Zenith with the OS image only connected to 1 Ethernet port

2: Surprisingly the Zenith can do the 1536kHz up-sampling and filtering (sinc-Mx, LNS15) without the need of a desktop PC

3: Since the Zenith only receives the Roon stream I can still use my EtherRegen

Result: Super happy new paying HQPlayer customer B|