IGNORED

Digital Audio and Amplifier Noise Floor Comparison - Is 16bit/44.1kHz All We Need ???

On 6/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, psjug said:

Just out of curiosity, have you or @Shadders seen measurements of finished amplifiers made from these kinds of kits?  I'm not sure I've seen measurements of any amplifier other than the AHB2 that meets the 96dB THD+N at 1W.  Maybe nCore is right on the edge of meeting this with a 22KHz filter.  Maybe there are a few others, but I bet they are rare.

This is a measurement performed with an AP analyzer on my amp. It is dead quiet connected to 105 dB efficient Klipsch La Scala II speakers. 

Noise.pdf

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I plan on rerunning analysis on my current amp. Noise floor on My_Ref Evo Rev A does not quite match AHB2. But slaughters most of the expensive amps I have seen tested in Stereophile. Many have a baseline and power supply artifacts 20 dB higher. 

Since changing to high efficiency horns I am using a similar design with much lower gain. Hope to get test setup running soon. 

Plus want to test at 10 mW, 100 mW, and 1 watt. With 105 dB 3 way horns and an active sub,  100 mW is very loud. The 5 and 18 watt output RTA plots are not representative of normal operation.

You can build your own. 

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.