IGNORED

Digital Audio and Amplifier Noise Floor Comparison - Is 16bit/44.1kHz All We Need ???

Can someone help me out with a calculation? The specs of my mono amps are:

- maximum unclipped output +/-20 Volts

- noise ~60 uV unweighted, 20-20 KHz

Would SNR = log(20/0.000006)*10? That gives me ~65dB, which doesn't seem right - the amps seem much quieter to me.

(Edit: the distortion spectrum in the manual shows the noise floor sitting at -135 dB below the 1 watt 1 kHz signal.)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

15 minutes ago, esldude said:

I'll assume that is peak to peak. So 28 volts rms.  You should use 20 instead of 10 in your calculations for voltage. You'll get a touch over 113 db. 

Spectrum views are deceptive because FFT will lower the view of the noise floor. You'd need to know FFT size to judge from that.

Thanks Dennis - much appreciated.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro