rickca

Discussion of Cisco Catalyst 2960 series switches and miscellaneous chatter about SFP modules (started with OT posts from EtherREGEN thread)

Rate this topic

On 6/24/2019 at 8:27 PM, stevebythebay said:

Hope someone can help:

Got  the switch on eBay, and reset to factory, based on documentation from Cisco site..  However, the factory reset does not reset the user/password to how it left the factory it seems.  I get no positive results using cisco/cisco or Cisco/cisco or Admin/cisco, no user/cisco, etc.  I suspect it has the last owner's user/password in place...

When I try to telnet into the Cisco I get "Password required, but none set".  Any idea on how to fix that?  And I've not found any Cisco documentation that suggests how to fix it either.

FYI: I've got a Mac (no Windows system).  Not really familiar with using telnet options that might pass to the Cisco to allow it to let me in.

I think you need after factory reset to make a BASIC configuration of the cisco switch that includes setting passwords. Quite a few videos on this on youtube. But i just received my 2 cisco 2960L switches and did not do anything yet to install them

Is there any benefit of getting this Cisco Switch if already using a pair of opticalModules already for optical isolation? In this case, it would replace one of the opticalModules, using its SPF port.

4 hours ago, thyname said:

Is there any benefit of getting this Cisco Switch if already using a pair of opticalModules already for optical isolation? In this case, it would replace one of the opticalModules, using its SPF port.

Maybe. But only if you are in the belief that every link in the chain is important, feeding the subsequent one more cleanly. I do, but I also just use a Cisco 2960 16 port switch for the whole house and then two opticalModules to the microRendu. Couldn't get the switch SFP link to work so can't comment on sound quality vs two oMs. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK and OWC external 2.5" HD (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (HDPLEX 100)>LIVING ROOM:>Sonore opticalModule (Sonore Power Supply w/ SR Black fuse))>Ghent Audio JSSG Cat 6a cable>Sonore microRendu 1.4> (Uptone ) Uptone USPCB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 110>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics.

OFFICE:Naim Unitiqute V1>NACA5>KEF Ls50's, Cisco 2960PD. BJC cabling for ethernet aside from the Ghent and Naim stock AC cables with Wattgate or HifiKing Plugs.