IGNORED

Discussion of Cisco Catalyst 2960 series switches and miscellaneous chatter about SFP modules (started with OT posts from EtherREGEN thread)

Can the optical port on this Cisco switch be used to feed an OpticalRendu (while waiting for the EtherREGEN!)? I just received mine and did a reset. It works fine for copper, but does not connect to my Optical SignatureRenduSE with the SFP supplied by Sonore.  I know that the SFP works fine as it works in the Trendnet switch with optical port. I note that the Cisco spec says that the optical port is for "uplink"; I'm not network-savy so not sure if this means that it will only connect to other switches and routers or if it can be also be used to connect to a device as well in which case maybe my Cisco has a bad optical port?

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Thanks all. Sounds like I should just wait for my EtherREGEN. My Trendnet switch works well with its SFP port with the Sonore-supplied SFPs. I figured for $22 bucks, I couldn't go wrong trying out the Cisco switch. didn't think about the Cisco SFP compatibility. Maybe I can hunt around for some used ones and experiment; looks like new Cisco-compatible 3rd party SFPs would be at least $50. 

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)