IGNORED

Discussion of Cisco Catalyst 2960 series switches and miscellaneous chatter about SFP modules (started with OT posts from EtherREGEN thread)

The newer Cisco 2960’s can sound better - my 2017 2960L-16PS (1G) better over a 2010 2960 -8 (10/100). But even that trounces the Netgears etc. I picked up my 2960L for $155 on ebay (new almost $1k but usually half that). Using as a whole house/office switch so worth the cost. 

I have to say that the oM is quite possibly one of the biggest upgrades I’ve made to my system, network, digital or analog. I think no matter how one goes, oM, oR, or eR, one will see huge gains. Perhaps even most with mid-range gear such as mine. Thanks JS! 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

You need to use a Cisco (or third party Cisco coded) SFP in a Cisco switch. The Cisco SFP will work in non-Cisco devices, but not the other way around. Also, you may need to go into the switch to manage the uplink to get it to work. Mine will link, but not pass on ethernet, so I gave up and went FMC/oM to oM route (and happy I did). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

If you go for a 2960G (usually about twice as much as the 2960L on the used market) then all of the ports are 1000. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, thyname said:

Is there any benefit of getting this Cisco Switch if already using a pair of opticalModules already for optical isolation? In this case, it would replace one of the opticalModules, using its SPF port.

Maybe. But only if you are in the belief that every link in the chain is important, feeding the subsequent one more cleanly. I do, but I also just use a Cisco 2960 16 port switch for the whole house and then two opticalModules to the microRendu. Couldn't get the switch SFP link to work so can't comment on sound quality vs two oMs. 

• 1 year later...

I'll just add that if you go for a newer (white or silver) Cisco 2960, many of them (most?) have a USB out (micro?) as well as Console, and so that would save a cable buy if you have one already (worked for me). I've also found (and others on the Naim forum) that powering one switch via cable only (poE) is a small upgrade in sound quality - one needs a 2960 that sends poE (often designated PS) and another that receives (PD or CPD designation usually).