IGNORED

Discussion of Cisco Catalyst 2960 series switches and miscellaneous chatter about SFP modules (started with OT posts from EtherREGEN thread)

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

This particular Cisco Catalyst 2960 WS-C2960-8TC-S -- originally about $600, now $22 used on eBay was a lovely and surprising enhancement to my system

OK I bought one.  For $22 on recommendation from @lmitche and @Superdad how can you go wrong?  I still want an EtherREGEN.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

On 6/12/2019 at 3:15 AM, Superdad said:

This particular Cisco Catalyst 2960 WS-C2960-8TC-S -- originally about $600, now $22 used on eBay was a lovely and surprising enhancement to my system (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Cisco-WS-C2960-8TC-S-Catalyst-2960-Series-8-1T-SFP-Port-Switch-LAN-Lite/282887525803?). Biggest bang for the buck I ever got. (thanks for the tip @lmitche!)

Good seller.  I ordered it on 6/12 and received it on 6/14.  I haven't even had a chance to plug it in yet.  For $22 I expected something totally beat up.  It looks brand new.  It will replace a ground shunted Netgear GS105.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

I just powered it up once without any ethernet cables plugged in to make sure it POSTed OK.  Then I simply replaced my Netgear GS105 with the Cisco switch and it just worked.

The switch comes from NFD with nothing but the IEC power cable.  All the manuals for WS-C2960-8TC-S are available online, just google it.  If you want to clear all configurations from the switch and assign a new IP address you can do a reset.  This deletes the configuration and reboots the switch resulting in an unconfigured switch.  I didn't need to do this.

To reset the switch, wait for POST to finish and then press and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds. Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch reboots.

Here's one place to start for documentation.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/hardware/quick/guide/ol14970.html#wp34533

4 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Did you hear any change?

Unfortunately there are several things changing in my system at the moment.  I didn't plan it this way!  I can't give you a confident answer right now.  After things settle down I may try swapping the Netgear switch back in to compare.

What I really want to do is compare the Cisco to the EtherREGEN!  Alex and John have reimagined the switch.

18 minutes ago, bobflood said:

I think this is a 10/100 switch and the opticalRendu is Gigabit so that could also be the problem.

The documentation for the WS-C2960-8TC-S says that the 8 ports are 10/100 but the dual-purpose uplink port has 1 10/100/1000 Ethernet port OR 1 SFP-based Gigabit Ethernet port.  

I think you can configure the uplink port as an access port, but I haven't yet figured out how to do it.  I may not try.

1 hour ago, FrankMA said:

Hello - I had a bit of trouble when I installed. Followed the advise of having no lan connections attached, powered up and let it cycle. I immediately began having issues with previously rock solid connections on my Trendnet switch. Switching back I needed to shutdown the whole network and power it back up in sequence and was back to normal.

Did you guys do that installing this unit (shutdown from router forward) and power up in sequence?

No.  But my network is really simple, just an AT&T fiber internet gateway and an Asus RT-AC3100 router followed by the Cisco switch.