IGNORED

Discussion of Cisco Catalyst 2960 series switches and miscellaneous chatter about SFP modules (started with OT posts from EtherREGEN thread)

6 minutes ago, soares said:

From what I read around, it seems that the Cisco is only compatible with Cisco's SFP. Not sure also is the oRendu will connect to Cisco.

While I am waiting for  the Etherregen I also would like to try a fiber connection with the Cisco and My TPlink FMC, but I still need to know which SFP model I should buy.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Jorge 

I have used Cisco 1000Base - SX, 30-1301-01 modules for several years with a variety of equipment - Intel NIC, TP Link FMC, DiabloCable switch, no name Chinese switch, Cisco switches.

These are easily found on ebay for less than $10 each.

As for the Cisco WS-C2960-8TC-S switch, I reset the switch and got it working with one of the Cisco SFP modules feeding my opticalModule (with Ethernet out to my mRendu).

I was a bit surprised when Superdad posted the information on this Cisco switch with the pending release of the etherREGEN.

In any case, I bit and purchased one since is was cheap to do so. I got the switch working in my system but didn't like what I was hearing so I removed. The center vocals seemed to smeared instead of focused.

I have been on the fiber optic bandwagon for several years now when this all was the rage here on the forum. Miska had come out with the HQP NAA setup which meant that you needed to include networking equipment to your music system so people started experimenting and fiber optics showed nice results.

For me, fiber optics makes good sense because you can don't have to worry (as much) about transmitting unwanted noise and my system always sounded better.

Currently, my music server has an Intel NIC with an SFP port so right off the bat, the signal coming out of my server is using fiber optics. It was very simple to install the NIC into my Linux server (built for me by Small Green Computer). If you have ever installed a card into a computer, that is all there is to it. Plus Ubuntu Studio (Linux) handles updates to the Intel card as part of routine system updates which is nice.

From the music server, the signal goes into a no-name Chinese switch (bought from AliExpress ... Asia's Amazon) that cost about $100. The switch has 8 SFP ports and 2 RJ-45 ports. Besides the music server, the switch also connects to the opticalModule as well as to my Google Wifi meshpoint with a TP Link MC220L converting the signal to optical. So, the switch only has 3 fiber optic connections and no RJ-45 connections meaning it is fairly isolated. The switch is powered by a quality linear power supply. Yes, I understand the issue with cheap clocks but ...

My advice is to go with fiber optics as much as possible. The cables for fiber optics are dirt cheap when compared to CAT 6, 6A, 7 cables plus they are much thinner and flexible so easier to route. There are a lot of used SFP modules available on ebay for cheap so just buy a batch of what works for you (I use Cisco modules). Install a fiber optic NIC in your server ... easy to do if you server allows cards to be added.

Personally, I like Linux and not sure why more people don't. Heck of a lot cheaper (Linux is free) with as good as if not better sound that a Win or Apple computer. With Ubuntu Studio, the GUI (graphical user interface) is easy to use for basic functions, very similar to Windows or Apple OS. From my understanding all of the Sonore units are running some form of Linux.