IGNORED

Surge protectors, Power Conditioners, and Distributors

This subject started as a general effort to understand the uses and benefits of power conditioners, power distributors, and surge protectors, within the context of noise isolation technology in network audio, notably in the digital domain.  I was specifically interested in learning how to balance the use of such power conditioners with the linear power supply units that one normally uses to power individual components, such as network players, Dacs, Amps, (but also Routers, modems, Switches, and FMC devices, etc etc) in order to isolate noise and optimize sound quality.  However, my interest does not necessarily end there. I am interested in learning about the function of power conditioners and distributors, and everything they can do, not only to protect equipment, but also to improve the quality of the A/V signals such equipment produce.

I am aware, in a general way, that power conditioners are meant to provide clean power and protection for our equipment under a variety of conditions. The protection they offer from power surges, and variations in voltage, as well as the work they do in filtering out noise, and preventing components from sending such noise to others within their orbits of operation and influence, are all very vital in helping us to get great performance from our rigs. However, I also understand that this is just the basic surface-scratching stuff, and that a lot of in-depth discussions, elaborations, specifications, are still required to deepen my knowledge of these types of equipment, and the processes involved in power conditioning and distribution themselves.  I also understand that there might be various differentiations, discriminations between units, brands, models, and functions that remain to be made, as the science behind much of this stuff remains rather murky to me.

I am here to learn from the experiences of others. What exactly constitutes this "clean power" that we crave for our equipment? What are the components that are apt to produce it for the best performance of our equipment, and at what cost?  Are some of the units more efficient than others in functionality and durability, and for which specific contexts and applications?   Which ones should one avoid, and what are the best practices in ensuring the best performance of the ones one chooses?  I am sure there are even more pertinent questions out there that remain to be asked, and related issues that remain to be raised, interrogated, and properly sorted out.

I am keeping this as open as possible, to all pertinent forms of input. Commentaries, discussions, elaborations, impressions, critiques,  etc. etc,-- are all are welcome, as long as they're related to the topic at hand... So please sound off:

A very general rule that I follow is that every system will always need some degree of additional electrical isolation from the vagaries of what the mains supply provides. The audio industry has never provided enough shielding and filtering to the components they sell, no matter how expensive they are - and the closer the rig is to achieving optiumum SQ for what the intrinsic qualities of the gear will allow, the more obvious this becomes.

I have experimented with a wide array of techniques over the years, but have never succeeded in achieving what I believe should be the goal - zero audible impact under all circumstances from noise and activity on the mains supply; close but no cigar, :).

It certainly can be achieved, but I would suggest that the law of diminishing returns applies to some degree - at some point it "will be good enough", provided care is taken with noise making devices, etc, in the vicinity.

I would also suggest that every rig will be different; that there will be no ideal solution that suits everyone - unless you want to spend as much money on this area as you do for the rig proper, :D. Experiment, experiment, experiment is what I would use to to achieve a value for money result.

I would be curious if a Supra MD-06 mains power strip would do any better in my audio server closet vs the heavy duty Stanley tool power strip I have now. One reason I ask is the distributor is down the street and has them for $69, which is actually less than the bare bones Wiremold I have for my Naim gear. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

many of the questions in para. 3 require an understanding of terms like common mode, balanced, etc.

and lots of things vary with frequency - you need to know how different circuits & components in the circuits vary with freq., as well as what noise freq.s are likely to be present, how far noise can propagate from a source, etc.

there are a lot of informative tidbits on this site, but they are scattered around in different places

18 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

many of the questions in para. 3 require an understanding of terms like common mode, balanced, etc.

and lots of things vary with frequency - you need to know how different circuits & components in the circuits vary with freq., as well as what noise freq.s are likely to be present, how far noise can propagate from a source, etc.

there are a lot of informative tidbits on this site, but they are scattered around in different places

Agreed... I wish I could start some kind of glossary of related technical terms.  That would certainly help, as a start.

'Power Conditioner' is an undefined term. It could be almost any combination of the following:

a)  Noise filter - a low-pass EMI/RFI filter.
b)  Surge protector - although it's better to have surge protection at the home's service entrance.
c)  UPS - note that many UPS's are not really UPS's!
d)  Line voltage adjuster.
e)  Balanced power transformer.
f)  Isolated power transformer.
g) DC blockers.
h) Regenerators (PSAudio)
i)  Power Factor Correction
j)  I forget? But I think that there are more.

Most well designed hi-fi systems, in most homes just don't need power conditioners!

As for 'surge protection' it should be a whole home unit near the main breaker box.

• 3 weeks later...

What surprise me a bit is that, as far as I know, no magazine or site has done tests with measurements for power conditions. 

Or or what your PS is kicking back on the line. 

It should be a well known science and everything should be measurable. 

(Do these approvements  organizations actually measure what we’ve after). 

Maybe John one day will give us a design, but I suspect this isn’t his priority when it comes to new products.

Done properly it needs as lot of certifications as well and that isn’t cheap.

https://www.schaffner.com/ may be a good place to look for good and working items. Cheap as well. 

Still, what works well for medical equipment as an example, may not be what we need for audio. 

Just a guide how to measure noise in AC lines would be very helpful. 

I don’t have the link available, but @Superdad actually post a YouTube video showing his Meanwell actually works as a noise reduction device. And that’s an SMPS most of us generally speaking like to avoid 😀

What I don’t know is actually what that instrument he is using is measure. 

(You can find the link in the JS-2 power supply tread).