Sign in to follow this  
One and a half

Grand 12 Inches

Rate this topic

Remember the 12 inch singles? First time I remember them was with DISCO, yes, they were used to pump bass par excellence, the 12 inch singles were an advantage with larger spaced grooves but shorter playing time, which was not a matter for single purposes. 

DJ Ben Liebrand has devoted countless hours in collating 12in vinyl for digital, collated in a collection of Grand 12 Inches. There's so far 16 volumes each with sometimes 4CDs per album.

his notes:

"

Ben Liebrand : "These are the roots of my career in music". 

These tracks have determined the path to follow and many of them where revolutionary and truly progressive at the time they where originally released. I have taken the greatest care to come up with the best possible masters, sometimes comparing up to 5 different versions to find out which one sounded the best and most pure. And sometimes even baking the analog master tapes to make them playable again. The heat evaporates the moisture in the coating of the tape. The otherwise moist backing will clog up all parts of the tape recorder the tape touches, leaving a dark glue like substance grinding everything to a halt. After the backing process, the tape becomes playable again and the transfer to digital is performed. 

Some tracks feature a combination of vocal and dub version just as I used to perform that combination in a live DJ-set. Such a combination features the best parts from the vocal and dub version, capturing the complete feel of what that track meant to me. 

Enjoy! 
Ben Liebrand"

As for mastering, well, take a look at Blondie's 'Rapture', selected at random, runs for 10 minutes. Where's the compression???? Nowhere, this is a very clean recording, DR12 (as reported by Jriver). This track is typical, all the peaks are naturally where they are supposed to be with air around them. Just brilliant. The content is very 70's Disco and variants.

image.thumb.png.87e0f21302e694f9c1b2ae0e39f194d1.png

From the main page on the website, how 12in vinyl was converted to digital:

"Transferring from Vinyl

Only when no master can be found at all (including having contacted the original artists in many occasions) I have to revert to Vinyl, and only do so if a mint copy is at hand. So....

Man am I happy I always spun my records using the Stanton 681 EEE's, instead of abusing them with the surface grating 500AL's. 

So... Transfer was done using a Denon 304 Moving coil cartridge, amplified by a Studer Phone Pre-amp to +4dB balanced line signal.
The signal was then fed into the AD converters of a Tascam DA30 and recorded directly to 44.1 kHz 16 bit.
Yes, A higher bit rate is better, but only if it stays at that bit rate. Down-sampling to the CD standard introduces more unwanted side effects than simply recording it at the correct sample and bit rate in the first place.

All clicks where removed by hand. instead of editing them out , which removes short spaces of time, they were removed by means of interpolation, thus keeping the correct timing.

Fade-out's were cleaned up, intros where inspected at sample-zoomed view. Distorted section were repaired by interchanging from identical snippets elsewhere in the song and all was done to ensure that you have the best possible audio experience in lack of the preferred analog tape master."

For the Disco lover and bass addict, this is the mother-load :) 

There are also upgrades as WAVs for some volumes, the Discogs page reveals.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA