IGNORED

Is streaming music worse for the environment than buying CDs and records?

Here's an article from the National Broadcaster regarding the use of plastics for recorded music, particularly with the advent of streaming.

"....emissions from plastic music products stayed steady over the decades, between 140 and 160 million kilograms a year in the United States. But in 2016, with streaming dominant, the output was about 200 million kilograms."

Now, I leave my music server storage and media server on all the time and reading the above, has made me rethink on the energy use. Audio equipment is turned off when not in use, so the Servers should be as well. A NAS is not the solution either, the media server draws far less power when measured and network file handling on a NAS from old ones anyway is slow to start and most likely full of noise.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Would you suggest everyone get a horn loudspeaker so no one needs more than 10 wpc?

Or should we out of a sense of environmental concern scrap loudspeaker use altogether and only roll with headphones?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

23 minutes ago, esldude said:

Would you suggest everyone get a horn loudspeaker so no one needs more than 10 wpc?

If they got what Peter St. uses, they would need a fraction of that power,  however, SWMBO may not be too thrilled with the idea. ¬¬

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020