IGNORED

What is Your Signal to Room Noise?

Just now, PeterSt said:

As I suggested, it would inherently compare our figures (if it were about that in the first place). But it is just not how it is done. Nobody would expect it either. At least not me ...

You're free to ignore it if you like. it won't bother me any.

No electron left behind.

1 minute ago, AudioDoctor said:

You're free to ignore it if you like.

No ... It is just that I now think why we never talk in terms of "at the listening position". Thus, exchanging figures from that @1m rating actually don't compare (obviously). Still "we" always do it like that, and then somehow translate it to room size or forget thinking about it in the first place.

I think I mentioned that my 85dBSPL decreased to 81dBSPL at the listening position but there was an other reason to mention it.

There is a somewhat larger thread from [forgot the handle - cucumber something] about SPL from the orchestra hall and the listening room. Somehow we always keep talking about the 1m distance, or at least I do. It just is "in the system"; I think in the thread we're in currently, this started about real levels. So, you go to a piano, measure that at ~1m distance, go to the listening room and tune at at 1m from the speaker. Not the listening position. Again, obviously. But ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Just now, PeterSt said:

No ... It is just that I now think why we never talk in terms of "at the listening position". Thus, exchanging figures from that @1m rating actually don't compare (obviously). Still "we" always do it like that, and then somehow translate it to room size or forget thinking about it in the first place.

I think I mentioned that my 85dBSPL decreased to 81dBSPL at the listening position but there was an other reason to mention it.

There is a somewhat larger thread from [forgot the handle - cucumber something] about SPL from the orchestra hall and the listening room. Somehow we always keep talking about the 1m distance, or at least I do. It just is "in the system"; I think in the thread we're in currently, this started about real levels. So, you go to a piano, measure that at ~1m distance, go to the listening room and tune at at 1m from the speaker. Not the listening position. Again, obviously. But ...

I get what you're saying, I just don't think we were measuring our speaker levels at 1m in this thread, it started out in the OP about noise in the listening room. If I wanted to get the speaker measurements I would go to the SONUSFABER.COM and get them for you. ha.

I was just having fun with my new app and kept measuring things, because why not!

No electron left behind.

2 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I was just having fun with my new app and kept measuring things, because why not!

I use it all the time. It gives you insight in exactly what you were saying 10 minutes ago; you learn what you perceive as loud but which may not be loud at all, and the other way around. In the end that in itself is a measure of how "good" the system is or behaves. Anything which comes across screaming(ly loud) but is not (which requires the measurement), isn't the best for quality as such.

XXHighEnd (developer)

3 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

It would really be something if we all used the same album as well.

And of course that is also an important dimension. This is how I always speak in terms of peaks only. With that I assume that we set the volume to what we think we can bear for the moment (mood and such), which of course for rock is far more easy than for classical. And do that C weighed or else the peaks are quire meaningless.

So indeed, there is more to it than just aim an SPL meter. Funny ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

9 hours ago, STC said:

Classical and vocal. Peak hitting 102dB for classical. Lowest room level without air conditioning 29.2dB with both A and C weighting. 

88FF81AF-10EA-49EA-9903-D3986DC9E7BB.png

7361A39E-775F-460A-A6B2-E465FD62F439.png

E3E5A6F5-B0FF-424B-AFAF-44B7103EE1BE.png

Can I ask you what app this is? Is it for Android? I can’t find it in the Apple App Store. 

20 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Can I ask you what app this is? Is it for Android? I can’t find it in the Apple App Store. 

I’ve been using the NIOSH SPL meter on my iPhone for a while now. It’s free from the App Store and is almost as accurate in the 40-100 dB range as the units our audiologists use, once calibrated to match (an easy task in the Settings panel). It’s far better than Radio Shack & similar.

21 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Toolbox - Smart Meter Tools by SkyPaw Co. Ltd
https://itunes.apple.com/my/app/toolbox-smart-meter-tools/id933528345?mt=8

I have Pro’s Kit and also used Castle DPL Meter which is about $1500. None of them could go below 29dB. 

In my room, the sound without air conditioner is at 29 to 30dB and with air cond also around 30dB. With Pro kit it was 32 or 36dB with pc and air cond. if I remember correctly only Castle was sensitive enough to give different reading for all. 

The iphone app is good enough although accuracy is not captured below 30dB. I believe my room is at low 20dBs but without a proper SPL meter it is anybody’s guess.