IGNORED

The end of iTunes

In my opinion iTunes is the best music file browser for Mac; sad news.

I use/need it for tagging and browsing so I may just stop updating the OS on my music computer. But I may end up having to find a new browser...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

4 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

There are better programs for tagging and meta data that far surpass the capabilities of iTunes.

Could you suggest a couple?

I tag and add image cover to my classical music downloads and rips manually (that's about 95% of the music I get) because I have my own method and like to keep the cover image at 300² pixels. I wonder whehter I can find anything significantly better / more effective than iTunes and the couple of Doug's Scripts' I use...

iTunes has the best browsing GUI and the invaluable Column Browser, and it also alows me to easily switch between one of my 9 libraries (Early, Renaissance & Baroque; Classical, Romantic & Modern; Sacra; Opera; Minimal; Jazz; Ethnic & Traditional; Rock; Soundtracks).

As expected - at least by those of us who reflected a bit about the question - it is not the end of iTunes, but, on the Mac, the iTunes app is being split into three apps: Music, Podcasts, and TV. So for music listeners on the Mac, the only difference is the name of the app they'll use. For Windows users, nothing will change. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

13 hours ago, kirkmc said:

As expected - at least by those of us who reflected a bit about the question - it is not the end of iTunes, but, on the Mac, the iTunes app is being split into three apps: Music, Podcasts, and TV. So for music listeners on the Mac, the only difference is the name of the app they'll use. For Windows users, nothing will change. 

That could be a good thing after all.

My 2012 MBP can run Catalina.

All is well.

So it looks like, for future operating systems, iTunes simply has been split up into three separate programs that maintain the original functionality, and the iOS syncing functionality has been (sensibly) moved to the Finder.  

I know nothing about Windows, but since Apple has no control over the Microsoft file browser, I doubt we will see a similar partitioning of functionality.

As far as the "death" of iTunes goes, I think this revision/division is long overdue.  However, in once sense "death" might be a good description for what happens with iTunes for those of us with hardware that can't be upgraded past 10.13.X (a limitation imposed by Apple). Will it be maintained in any way?  At some point, will an iOS upgrade make it impossible to sync with hardware stuck at 10.13.X? This seems almost inevitable.