IGNORED

Branford Marsalis Interview in Stereophile

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2019 at 10:29 AM, Booster MPS said:

I have been a very long time fan of the Marsalis family, particularly Branford because he has always been a no BS, tell it like it is guy.  Super direct with no pretense.  Interesting read over on Stereophile on his new group and his thoughts on some modern artists.  I personally see the tradition in good hands with great artists like McBride/Salvant/Redman/Mehldau/Joey Alexander/Diehl/Akinmusire and so many more inclusive of everybody playing with those artists.  I would love to know who he refers to as the guys "playing the modern stuff."  Maybe The Bad Plus and those contemporary artists similar?  Would be a great conversation over a beer.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/branford-marsalis-listening-sonic-ears

Love his music too, may I ask what you're digital playback chain is? So far, this type of music sounds better on vinyl to me so need your guidance. Thanks! 

23 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Love his music too, may I ask what you're digital playback chain is? So far, this type of music sounds better on vinyl to me so need your guidance. Thanks! 

Yeah I am digital.  Aurender N100H to Benchmark DAC2 L to Peachtree P220 amp and Martin Logal.  I only have vinyl rips.  From the rips I have, I would only say not all vinyl is created equal, and care must be taken on the rips to capture the range.  All of the artists above I have lossless digital.  The 24/96 Aaron Diehl Bespoke Man's Narrative BUT Akinusire's 16/44 When the Heart Emerges is pretty damn good as is.

amazingly, I don't have that one...

the the guys "playing the modern stuff" is older than Branford - I dunno who he mean exactly (or if he means anyone in particular), but it relates to New Orleans jazz vs. NY jazz, the pull of NYC on NoLa players ($$), and lots of other things

I'm sure there will be a book on Ellis and his kids at some point...