IGNORED

Apple announced that it is abandoning itunes...

25 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@Dr Tone again with your 'TONE'- couldn't you have said that in a nicer way or phrased it it differently so @Manolo47 wouldn't feel like a jerk for asking the question

If you have a problem with me, bring it up with Chris.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

This does raise some interesting questions.  OK, it seems that iTunes will live on, maybe as a part of Apple Music in some form, but there are many other music players that integrate with iTunes in some way.  The biggest of which is probably Roon, which can "read" and import iTunes playlists.  So as an example, some people create smart playlists in iTunes using individual track ratings and similar, and as if by magic these playlists appear in Roon.  

Will this functionality be lost?  Or maybe just get disrupted for a while whilst various forms of integration get sorted out?  

I look forward to seeing the details tomorrow.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

It appears the bigger news is Apple is going to streaming-only.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jun/02/apple-expected-close-itunes-tim-cook

Although the music is DRM-free, TV shows and movies "purchased" and downloaded still need to be authenticated every time you try to view them.  Will that be revoked, and will you still be able to stream, in perpetuity, a movie that you previously purchased but that resides on their servers?

On 6/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, bobfa said:

I have seen NOTHING from Apple.  A bunch of rumors elsewhere.  We will know better in 24 hours.

Do we?

They've made the announcement.  The "rumors" (which are carefully planted news-feeds in reality) were substantially correct.  All in all it was a bit of a snooze-fest. Glad I went for a bike ride.

The only real surprise is that Apple (sensibly) is putting the iOS-syncing functionality into the Finder (which should be easy enough, as they share the same code-base).

The remaining mystery is whether Apple will move to exclusive streaming.  (It looks that way, but I couldn't really tell from the coverage).

The 6K display looks nice.  Too bad it costs that much.  For only $1K more, you can get the anti-glare option.

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I hear they are still keeping Nvidia out and have a hardware acceleration FPGA board 

How are they keeping Nvidia out? New Mac Pro has again PCIexpress slots. With current Macs you'd need external Thunderbolt-to-PCIe box to host additional GPUs, but it is still possible.

Very few are interested on FPGA boards because they are expensive, power hungry and painful to develop for.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

And notable is the new Mac Pro, which may again also allow using Nvidia GPUs for such things as CUDA.

The Mac Pro so many wanted. Very impressed. 

Are you planning to get one?

The new display is spectacular, even at $7K including the stand and etched glass.  Each LED is individually calibrated.  It was the highlight of today's announcements for me.  The design of the Mac Pro is also very impressive.  Finally some real innovation from Apple again.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

8 hours ago, Em2016 said:

The Mac Pro so many wanted. Very impressed. 

Are you planning to get one?

I'm trying to afford a new regular iMac at some point to replace old 2013 model (that has integrated Nvidia GPU)... 😅

Pro is unfortunately outside of my computer budget.

(my Xeon workstation made by HP that I use for HQPlayer development (on Linux) was much cheaper)

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I know there are Nvidia drivers for Mac that don't come from Apple right now, it will be interesting to see if anyone gets an Nvidia card working in one of the new Mac Pros.

I'm pretty sure they will, and Nvidia will likely have some new interest. So far Nvidia has been keeping the macOS CUDA support up to date, so obviously I'm not the only one using CUDA on Macs...

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'm pretty sure they will, and Nvidia will likely have some new interest. So far Nvidia has been keeping the macOS CUDA support up to date, so obviously I'm not the only one using CUDA on Macs...

Yep and if you watch the keynote, when they talk about the graphics they talk about 'offering multiple graphics options starting with' the AMD, via their MPX module.

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

I'm trying to afford a new regular iMac at some point to replace old 2013 model (that has integrated Nvidia GPU)... 😅

Pro is unfortunately outside of my computer budget.

(my Xeon workstation made by HP that I use for HQPlayer development (on Linux) was much cheaper)

The US$50k maxed out (estimated) version with Pro Display XDR wouldn't be a problem for Skywalker Sound (for example) and big film studios etc, that can use the extra power.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/maxed-out-mac-pro-cost-estimate/

The 1000 track demo in Logic during the keynote was impressive.

13 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

The US$50k maxed out (estimated) version with Pro Display XDR wouldn't be a problem for Skywalker Sound (for example) and big film studios etc, that can use the extra power.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/maxed-out-mac-pro-cost-estimate/

The 1000 track demo in Logic during the keynote was impressive.

You can get more powerful machines for cheaper, but then you just don't have Apple badge and macOS... ;)

I'm personally not ready to pay much extra for those. My HP comes with three years next business day on-site warranty which is more important.

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

You can get more powerful machines for cheaper, but then you just don't have Apple badge and macOS... ;)

If you mean for HQPlayer then yes, but for others macOS is worth this high price...

Some big studios and other professionals that can afford the new Mac Pro and can use it's extra power and are already using Mac's aren't interested in using Linux or Windows on an hourly basis, let alone have your skills with Linux/Windows.

So for them, more powerful machines for less cost (for Linux or Windows) isn't of interest. Hackintosh not an option for them either (reliability and support)

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

If you mean for HQPlayer then yes, but for others macOS is worth this high price...

Some big studios and other professionals that can afford the new Mac Pro and can use it's extra power and are already using Mac's aren't interested in using Linux or Windows on an hourly basis, let alone have your skills with Linux/Windows.

So for them, more powerful machines for less cost (for Linux or Windows) isn't of interest. Hackintosh not an option for them either (reliability and support)

I cannot think of anything that would require a Mac. If you do music, most tools are for Windows (Merging Pyramix, ProTools, etc). If you do video or photo editing or graphics, most tools are still for Windows (Adobe, Corel, etc). All Autodesk, SolidWorks and Mentor Graphics tools are for Windows.

If you want to do scientific computing, or build a supercomputer/cluster, you use Linux.

So reasons for getting a Mac are non-technical.