IGNORED

Tips for not renewing Apple Music?

After a one year sub I will not renew in June.  Does anyone think I may run into issues?  I don't know what I don't know.  

I only streamed with Apple Music.  I never intentionally downloaded the leased music.  The only tracks I downloaded were those I had purchased.  However, two copies of each purchased track were pushed to my library, and Apple claims not to know why.  I suspect the 2nd track, missing copyright data, was from the leased side of the business.  I trust I've been deleting the leased music, but we'll see when I cut that line.

Suggestions before I start down this path?

Thanks.

Good ideas.

However, I never activated iCloud Music Library.  Apple Music has never been enabled on machines or devices where I store or sync the music I own. (I never purchased from a device. I only buy using the Mini that serves up my iTunes library.)   I only stream from devices that never touch my library.

I always attempted to maintain a firewall between my stuff and theirs.  As such I hope when I cancel there won't a single effect to my library, but....

On 6/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, arc6th said:

After a one year sub I will not renew in June.  Does anyone think I may run into issues?  I don't know what I don't know.  

I only streamed with Apple Music.  I never intentionally downloaded the leased music.  The only tracks I downloaded were those I had purchased.  However, two copies of each purchased track were pushed to my library, and Apple claims not to know why.  I suspect the 2nd track, missing copyright data, was from the leased side of the business.  I trust I've been deleting the leased music, but we'll see when I cut that line.

Suggestions before I start down this path?

Thanks.

Hi, shouldn't affect your local library. But make an offline backup just in case.

What are the reasons you're leaving?

I recently posted how Apple Music (in particular personalised recommendations) has only finally become good (in my experience). It was really horrible (for me) until recently.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55911-apple-music-the-for-you-section/

I'm expecting things to improve more.

I will definitely back-up one more time and even disconnect that hard drive before severing the tie.

I have appreciated that the Favorites Mix has become much better; it's finally a playlist of highly-rated tunes from my library.  That said, I can create those playlists.  Other playlists are tied to genres which I ultimately have found a too restrictive.

I'm canceling because I don't want to give Apple more money.  Every music and movie purchase through the iTunes store is downloaded twice.  I do not want to stream from my phone, and yet the default setting is to show me all the stuff I've bought through iTunes so I can stream it.  No.

So much frustration. Ready for the simplicity of SoundJamMP.  Again.  Eh, maybe not.

-Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input, all.

FWIW, there were no issues. The extraneous copies waiting to download in iTunes disappeared.  None of the tracks in my library disappeared.  I bought some new music hours after the subscription lapsed and no second copies appeared.  It seems I guessed correctly the 2nd copies were from the subscription.  It's amazing I am seemingly the only one who has experienced this.  Maybe I simply missed the memo that told us not to buy and subscribe using the same Apple ID. 

Now I can return to nagging Apple about my former top question:  Have the tracks marked to be sync'd to the phone been moved to the phone or not?  The vast majority of songs purchased from iTunes and sync'd to the phone are greyed out/dotted circles when looking at the phone's contents through iTunes.  Are the tracks on the phone or does the phone download the tracks when they are played?  I lean toward the files have been moved to the phone, but the iTunes interface makes it appear they haven't.  I hope the new Music for MacOS improves upon this.

• 1 month later...

If Apple ever took it upon themselves to start interfering with my local library of music, that would be the final nail in the coffin that sent me to Linux for good.

I have never subscribed to Apple Music, have no plans to, and have the iTunes Store disabled as far as I know.

No electron left behind.