IGNORED

iTunes Going Away

Jud

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

For those that don't know, the cheese grater Mac Pro design debuted in 2006 (below pic)...  and was very popular.

So all the cheese grater memes popping up today are old jokes. Probably people that didn't know about the 1st gen Mac Pro.

A lot of people were disappointed with the 'trashcan' Mac Pro design that came later and it's lack of upgradeability. 

I'm happy Apple's gone back to the Mac Pro roots. This is what earlier Mac Pro users have wanted, before the 'trashcan' re-design came along. I love that they're including a rack mounted option too. The new Mac Pro will be a big hit in the pro world.

image.thumb.png.ed0df6070a2609f2a412b255bb36b6f2.png

I had that.  It was my last PPC (IMB processor) purchase.  It didn't last very long.

On 6/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, wgscott said:

iTunes as desktop software never really bothered me that  much.  I thought the iOS player (like much of iOS) is a hell-disaster.

What concerns me are reports appearing in the British press today that suggest Apple will move to streaming-only, so that those of us who purchased TV shows and movies via the iTunes store might at some point lose access.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jun/02/apple-expected-close-itunes-tim-cook

Turns out those reports were false, or at least pre-mature:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/06/answers-to-some-of-your-itunes-questions-old-libraries-windows-and-more/

(I started another thread for this.)

9 hours ago, wgscott said:

Very happy with RealVNC myself (works across multiple OSs and machines), but will have a look at this.

Catalina is supposed to have something called Sidecar that I've only heard about in passing, so I don't know if it could be relevant.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

42 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I had that.  It was my last PPC (IMB processor) purchase.  It didn't last very long.

A 6K monitor, lovely as it is, kind of strikes me that way when all the TV manufacturers are already talking 8K. Not sure how many other monitor manufacturers will make a stop at 6K along the route from 4 to 8.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

A 6K monitor, lovely as it is, kind of strikes me that way when all the TV manufacturers are already talking 8K. Not sure how many other monitor manufacturers will make a stop at 6K along the route from 4 to 8.

I mean the hardware failed prematurely.

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

I mean the hardware failed prematurely.

Sorry to hear that, though I'm sure not as sorry as you were when it happened. My Apple stuff has pretty much lasted as long as I care to keep it - the mid-2009 MacBook Pro is happily running El Cap and Mojave on separate partitions.

19 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Are you using the dosdude1 patcher to run Mojave on old, no longer supported platforms?

Yes. Tried upgrading the main HFS+ partition, which ran with glacial slowness, like the Web on a 14.4K modem, while the CPU fan protested.  Installed clean on a separate APFS partition, it hums along nicely.

57 minutes ago, Jud said:

Sorry to hear that, though I'm sure not as sorry as you were when it happened. My Apple stuff has pretty much lasted as long as I care to keep it - the mid-2009 MacBook Pro is happily running El Cap and Mojave on separate partitions.

It was pretty much an outlier, as most of our hardware is still alive, with the exception of stuff that got physically abused.  (I even have a G4 laptop from 2003, a couple iMacs from 2006 and 2007, and a couple of minis from 2009.  I think my desktop iMac at work might be 2009).

21 hours ago, Em2016 said:

For those that don't know, the cheese grater Mac Pro design debuted in 2006 (below pic)...  and was very popular.

So all the cheese grater memes popping up today are old jokes. Probably people that didn't know about the 1st gen Mac Pro.

A lot of people were disappointed with the 'trashcan' Mac Pro design that came later and it's lack of upgradeability. 

I'm happy Apple's gone back to the Mac Pro roots. This is what earlier Mac Pro users have wanted, before the 'trashcan' re-design came along. I love that they're including a rack mounted option too. The new Mac Pro will be a big hit in the pro world.

image.thumb.png.ed0df6070a2609f2a412b255bb36b6f2.png

This one looks better with the small holes. The new one looks ridiculous.

mQa is dead!

22 minutes ago, lucretius said:

This one looks better with the small holes. The new one looks ridiculous.

Lol I agree but it might be for needing seriously better airflow than old one... the housing design (and power supply) needs to cater for the maxed out spec (that people/companies will purchase) not just how us mere mortals may use it.

3 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Lol I agree but it might be for needing seriously better airflow than old one... the housing design (and power supply) needs to cater for the maxed out spec (that people/companies will purchase) not just how us mere mortals may use it.

I hope they have a dust filter on the underside of those holes. 

mQa is dead!

On 6/3/2019 at 5:22 PM, Jud said:

Looks like a cheese grater.