IGNORED

iTunes Going Away

Jud

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The new Music app may be essentially identical to the music portion of iTunes, so there may be no change affecting music organization or playback.

Nevertheless, I've been intending for some time to switch from iTunes to Swinsian to manage my music database because Swinsian can manage FLAC and DSF files in addition to all the file types managed by iTunes.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

4 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

Nevertheless, I've been intending for some time to switch from iTunes to Swinsian to manage my music database because Swinsian can manage FLAC and DSF files in addition to all the file types managed by iTunes.

I guess the question is, will the new Music app still be the central means for syncing music, movies, and other data to iPhones/iPads.

I like Swinsian and can get used to ripping CDs with XLD or some other utility, but I don’t want to have to maintain separate playlists in iTunes just for syncing to phones, etc.  But it won’t really be that hard to move on.

I think I read this to be a music only app, so the movies/TV would be in their own app.  Re: the sync to devices it seems like they want an ecosystem where your device syncs directly to the crowd and you don't need a laptop/desktop in order to manage devices.  I would guess that most walk out of a store with their phone and never tether them.

33 minutes ago, Booster MPS said:

I would guess that most walk out of a store with their phone and never tether them.

Yeah, about once a year I grab my wife’s phone and connect it to her computer to pull a couple thousand photos off it. But aside from that she seems to have most of what she needs.  I recently changed the settings on all out family iPhones to at least back up contacts and other vital info to the cloud—instead of waiting for them to connect to their respective desktop/laptop machines.

But I’m not really interested in paying for Apple cloud space—in part because all that automatic uploading of photos, etc. sucks battery charge daily.

No stress at all - I haven't used iTunes for years. 😀

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

iTunes as desktop software never really bothered me that  much.  I thought the iOS player (like much of iOS) is a hell-disaster.

What concerns me are reports appearing in the British press today that suggest Apple will move to streaming-only, so that those of us who purchased TV shows and movies via the iTunes store might at some point lose access.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jun/02/apple-expected-close-itunes-tim-cook

On 6/2/2019 at 12:01 PM, bobfa said:

Seems like a lot of stress before we know anything.   We could just as well talk about Google wanting to remove all ports from their devices.

They've made the announcement.  The "rumors" (which are carefully planted news-feeds in reality) were substantially correct.  But as far as stress goes, perhaps a wee bit more was needed for this snooze-fest.

The only real surprise is that Apple (sensibly) is putting the iOS-syncing functionality into the Finder (which should be easy enough, as they share the same code-base).

The remaining mystery is whether Apple will move to exclusive streaming.  (It looks that way, but I couldn't really tell from the coverage).

The 6K display looks nice.  Too bad it costs that much.  For only $1K more, you can get the anti-glare option.

59 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

That Mac Pro is something

Looks like a cheese grater.

For those that don't know, the cheese grater Mac Pro design debuted in 2006 (below pic)...  and was very popular.

So all the cheese grater memes popping up today are old jokes. Probably people that didn't know about the 1st gen Mac Pro.

A lot of people were disappointed with the 'trashcan' Mac Pro design that came later and it's lack of upgradeability. 

I'm happy Apple's gone back to the Mac Pro roots. This is what earlier Mac Pro users have wanted, before the 'trashcan' re-design came along. I love that they're including a rack mounted option too. The new Mac Pro will be a big hit in the pro world.

image.thumb.png.ed0df6070a2609f2a412b255bb36b6f2.png

8 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

what I'd like is a simple & cheap way to use an ipad or iphone as the mouse and keyboard for my mac mini

dunno if Cat-or-leana will do that

Jump Desktop (RDP, VNC, Fluid) by Phase Five Systems
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jump-desktop-rdp-vnc-fluid/id364876095?mt=8

Don’t know whether this would fit your particular use case but might be worth a look. Works a charm for me for routine maintenance on my headless Mac Mini. 

Roon Nucleus REV B -> DH Labs Mirage USB Cable -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty DAC -> SPL Elector Preamp -> Bryston 2.5 Cubed amp -> Magnepan 1.7i speakers + REL T9x

jonathan